Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Third gen WS6 Formula?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
They didn't use it as a "model name" until the fourth-gens.

Yes, I am well aware that it was an option since the late 70's. You need to reread my post.
This is exactly what I'm trying to tell these guys
Old 05-14-2010, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
I would love for you to post one picture of any TA with factory lace wheels in any other color except gold or black. And ONLY the GTAs got gold ones.
You are awefully sure of yourself....just look at any 1991 or 1992 T/A convert. None of them were GTA's and they could be had with gold wheels to match the tan tops.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mannyman84
Ok so you guys are telling me that I can go around saying I have a 1990 gta WS6 and look stupid. Or I can rather say I have a 1990 gta with the WS6 package and know what hell i'm saying. What I'm trying to say is that they were not considered ws6 but rather just a formula or a GTA. I've had my GTA for a long *** time and know what the hell I'm saying. I have a 1990 GTA trans am with the ws6 package which had no performance upgrades just by having a ws6 option. And the ws6 package was standard on the GTA
You might know what you are saying, but you don't know how to express it, and certainly not listening to anyone else

yes the WS6 suspension was standard on the GTA and the F41 was standard on the T/A. What is your point?
Old 05-14-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok so you guys are telling me that I can go around saying I have a 1990 gta WS6 and look stupid. Or I can rather say I have a 1990 gta with the WS6 package and know what hell i'm saying. What I'm trying to say is that they were not considered ws6 but rather just a formula or a GTA. I've had my GTA for a long *** time and know what the hell I'm saying. I have a 1990 GTA trans am with the ws6 package which had no performance upgrades just by having a ws6 option. And the ws6 package was standard on the GTA
No you dont have to do that to look stupid...

Well if you want to get down to it 4th Gens were not "considered" WS6s either but rather Ram Air cars. They were not marketed as WS6s but rather Ram Air Packages. The WS6 is just the RPO code just like on the 3rd Gens.

Ok so you guys are telling me that I can go around saying I have a 1990 gta WS6 and look stupid. Or I can rather say I have a 1990 gta with the WS6 package and know what hell i'm saying. What I'm trying to say is that they were not considered ws6 but rather just a formula or a GTA. I've had my GTA for a long *** time and know what the hell I'm saying. I have a 1990 GTA trans am with the ws6 package which had no performance upgrades.just by having a ws6 option. And the ws6 package was standard on the GTA
Really...

What do you consider suspension upgrades if they are not performance upgrades???? Actually the WS6 package on the 3rd Gens offered more upgrades to a TA then than it did to a LS1 car. The lower air box and exhaust where the only "performance upgrades" they got. As stated the WS6 3rd Gens got sway bars, springs, quick ratio steering box.
The following users liked this post:
carlos64030 (11-25-2020)
Old 05-14-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Philhawk02
You might know what you are saying, but you don't know how to express it, and certainly not listening to anyone else

yes the WS6 suspension was standard on the GTA and the F41 was standard on the T/A. What is your point?
Well u hit me right on the money there. That's one thing. Lol. Sometimes I can't explain myself very well. I do listen to others but I like to reply to the ones that dont listen and are hard headed..... Like echo and also I don't mean to offend anyone of I say something stupid.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Well u hit me right on the money there. That's one thing. Lol. Sometimes I can't explain myself very well. I do listen to others but I like to reply to the ones that dont listen and are hard headed..... Like echo and also I don't mean to offend anyone of I say something stupid.
No worries...you can't offend me.
You are right, until the 4th gen then WS6 option was just a suspension package, once it hit the 4th gens it turned into a suspension package and ram air/exhaust package.

Kind of like the 80's Oldsmobiles riding around with FE3 badges on the trunk....you wouldn't call them Olds 88 FE3....it was an olds 88 with the FE3 suspension... all pretty much the same idea depending on your point of view and how it was marketed.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No you dont have to do that to look stupid...

Well if you want to get down to it 4th Gens were not "considered" WS6s either but rather Ram Air cars. They were not marketed as WS6s but rather Ram Air Packages. The WS6 is just the RPO code just like on the 3rd Gens.

Really...

What do you consider suspension upgrades if they are not performance upgrades???? Actually the WS6 package on the 3rd Gens offered more upgrades to a TA then than it did to a LS1 car. The lower air box and exhaust where the only "performance upgrades" they got. As stated the WS6 3rd Gens got sway bars, springs, quick ratio steering box.

Geees u quote a lot. Lol. What I ment to say by performance is power wise. It could have an rpo code but doesn't mean the car model was a ws6 just like 4th gens. The WS6 was just a suspension package and was never a model name for any third gens only 4th in 96. Probably some of u, well a lot of u are miss understanding me sorry about that. See, I can't say I have a 90 ws6 because I know they didn't exist until 96, ok the 3rd gens came with the performance suspension but was never named a ws6 like the 4th gen
Old 05-14-2010, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Nice GTA btw Manny. I'm jealous.
I've always been on the lookout for a flame red 88 GTA with all the options, and has to have the subwoofer speaker option....some day.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No worries...you can't offend me.
You are right, until the 4th gen then WS6 option was just a suspension package, once it hit the 4th gens it turned into a suspension package and ram air/exhaust package.

Kind of like the 80's Oldsmobiles riding around with FE3 badges on the trunk....you wouldn't call them Olds 88 FE3....it was an olds 88 with the FE3 suspension... all pretty much the same idea depending on your point of view and how it was marketed.
Yes sir... I don't get offended either unless someone starts with the name calling. When explaining **** online is totally different then in person. Haha
Old 05-14-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice GTA btw Manny. I'm jealous.
I've always been on the lookout for a flame red 88 GTA with all the options, and has to have the subwoofer speaker option....some day.
Thanks. I try to take care of it but I need a car cover. And I've never heard of the subwoofer option :-(
Old 05-14-2010, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. I try to take care of it but I need a car cover. And I've never heard of the subwoofer option :-(
They stopped offering the subwoofer in 1989...
anyway...California Car covers makes some real nice quality items. I have a "noah" cover for my Hawk and Bonneville. Worth every penny
Old 05-14-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They stopped offering the subwoofer in 1989...
anyway...California Car covers makes some real nice quality items. I have a "noah" cover for my Hawk and Bonneville. Worth every penny
Cool I'll check them out when I get some money. I just started working again and gotta pay my car note on my wssix. Then buy some stuff I need for my GTA then car cover.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=97ramsst;13321145]Then you had the only one ever. What was that option code and price for those wheels? Do you still have window sticker or anything? There were no wheel options for the Formula or TAs...the Formula got the turbo wheels, the TA got black lace and GTAs got gold lace. No other options or choices.

here is a link to a red T/A with factory red wheels
http://www.dealsonwheels.com/detail/...688574E19.aspx
Old 05-14-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Philhawk02;13331995]
Then you had the only one ever. What was that option code and price for those wheels? Do you still have window sticker or anything? There were no wheel options for the Formula or TAs...the Formula got the turbo wheels, the TA got black lace and GTAs got gold lace. No other options or choices.

There it goes for the none believers
Old 05-14-2010, 07:12 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there where some GTA's that came with drums instead of disc breaks.
This would have been in 91. There is a big thread on thirdgen about it, and even a letter from Pontiac to its dealers about the G92 cars. It was the same for the Camaros, too. I had a 91 Z28 G92 w/o J65 rear disc.

Geees u quote a lot. Lol. What I ment to say by performance is power wise. It could have an rpo code but doesn't mean the car model was a ws6 just like 4th gens. The WS6 was just a suspension package and was never a model name for any third gens only 4th in 96. Probably some of u, well a lot of u are miss understanding me sorry about that. See, I can't say I have a 90 ws6 because I know they didn't exist until 96, ok the 3rd gens came with the performance suspension but was never named a ws6 like the 4th gen
The WS6 was not a model name either, just a trim. As someone mentioned, it's a Firebird with ram air. That's how you've got the think about it. It's no different than the new 5.0 Mustang guys saying they've got the "Brembo brake package."

And you can say you've got a 90 WS6 because you do! Get yourself a LT1-style WS6 hood and then no one would even question it (not that it should matter what anyone else thinks). Slap a 4th gen WS6 badge on the rear and you'd be good to go.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by demonspeed
This would have been in 91. There is a big thread on thirdgen about it, and even a letter from Pontiac to its dealers about the G92 cars. It was the same for the Camaros, too. I had a 91 Z28 G92 w/o J65 rear disc.

The WS6 was not a model name either, just a trim. As someone mentioned, it's a Firebird with ram air. That's how you've got the think about it. It's no different than the new 5.0 Mustang guys saying they've got the "Brembo brake package."

And you can say you've got a 90 WS6 because you do! Get yourself a LT1-style WS6 hood and then no one would even question it (not that it should matter what anyone else thinks). Slap a 4th gen WS6 badge on the rear and you'd be good to go.
Did this just become my thread? Lol sorry op. Actually I think that the lt1 style ws6 hood looks great on third gen's, good taste u have there. I wouldn't do it tho, I love my GTA as it looks originally. But honestly I wouldn't call my GTA a ws6, just a good ol GTA
Old 05-14-2010, 09:36 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is also like the "ABS" badges on most of the early 90's Chevrolet's. No one ever says they have a Cavalier RS ABS.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Philhawk02;13331995]
Then you had the only one ever. What was that option code and price for those wheels? Do you still have window sticker or anything? There were no wheel options for the Formula or TAs...the Formula got the turbo wheels, the TA got black lace and GTAs got gold lace. No other options or choices.

Those arent stock...they have been painted.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you even read a single word you said, yet you call me hard headed? you are banging your head against a wall because you are arguing semantics. you really think anyone on the planet would 'look at you stupid' because you might refer to your precious GTA as having the WS6 package?

guess what kid. i NEVER refer to any car as "a WS6." because its NOT. its a trans am/formula WITH the WS6 package. if anything, the 4th gens had the ram air performance package, which included the WS6 susp. its NOT 'a WS6'. the correct term would be a 'ram air trans am', thereby including the WS6 option.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
have you even read a single word you said, yet you call me hard headed? you are banging your head against a wall because you are arguing semantics. you really think anyone on the planet would 'look at you stupid' because you might refer to your precious GTA as having the WS6 package?

guess what kid. i NEVER refer to any car as "a WS6." because its NOT. its a trans am/formula WITH the WS6 package. if anything, the 4th gens had the ram air performance package, which included the WS6 susp. its NOT 'a WS6'. the correct term would be a 'ram air trans am', thereby including the WS6 option.
ok now u just talk out the ***.. u put words in my mouth that i dont say... i never said they would laugh because i would refer it as having the ws6 package but as being a ws6 trans am... ok fine there are no ws6 at all.. badges look nice, love them.... i still say anything from 96 to 02 with ws6 is and always will be a ws6 trans am... and yes u are hard headed and so am I......Example: Just like an SS, if u tell someone u have an SS automaticly some one thinks a camaro, but it can be many different things. we all know ws6 there is only trans am and formula, but automaticly u think trans am, well if i say GTA they think 3rd gen, but if i say ws6 third gen they wont really get the idea... but anyway echo, if im a child then u are one too for arguing with one...

Quick Reply: Third gen WS6 Formula?