Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1997 Firebird V6 Air Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Firebird V6 Air Intake System

Hi , new poster here and owner of a 1997 firebird. "bought it 2 days ago"

Not sure if this is the correct location for this post. but anyways

The cars air intake housing has a hole in it . i tryed finding a replacement but seems the bone yard is my only shot

But before i go crazy i decided to maybe go after market system ?

Any good ones you would recommend?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-14-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The SLP kit is probably the best fabricated setup yet also very expensive. Many just go with a homemade kit.

From a post by a member on fullthrottlev6.com:
Originally Posted by ssms17607
I just made my own, went with a 4" to 3.5" 90 degree elbow then some 3.5" flex tubing going down into the fender well , then a 3.5" to 4" plastic to a 4" x 9" K&N filter. Works well.
If the previous owner drove the car like that, I'd check the MAF screen on the throttle body and make sure nothing is sitting there stuck up/on/in the screen, waiting to break down and get sucked into the engine.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by WarShrike
The SLP kit is probably the best fabricated setup yet also very expensive. Many just go with a homemade kit.

From a post by a member on fullthrottlev6.com:

If the previous owner drove the car like that, I'd check the MAF screen on the throttle body and make sure nothing is sitting there stuck up/on/in the screen, waiting to break down and get sucked into the engine.
Thanks for the input . i will diffidently check the MAF and check for any debris
Old 11-14-2010, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Also if you dont have the time or know how to fab up your own kit check around on ebay, if you are getting a replacement might as well go for aftermarket, and maybe even a cold air, but be sure to get a pre-99 intake since the intakes are angled instead of straight. I was looking at some earlier and they are anywhere from 125-180 i believe, good luck!
Old 11-14-2010, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Courage68
Thanks for the input . i will diffidently check the MAF and check for any debris
And while i had my intake off, i went ahead and took off my maf screen, makes codes thrown left and right, but seems to have helped out with mpg's and on freeway drives
Old 11-15-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Pulling the screen on an angled TB car is NOT a good idea. It screws with the MAF readings and ruins the idle.

BrdOPrey, Straight TB cars like yours don't see much of an effect in comparison. My MAF readings were more steady with the screen installed though.

He needs a Pre-1998 intake actually. The 1997 firebird had a flat nose and no room for a lid, 1998 had new body style but still ran an angled TB, therefore the whisper lids had an angled outlet.

Quick Reply: 1997 Firebird V6 Air Intake System