Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

programmer for 2001 ws6

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default programmer for 2001 ws6

Wondering what programmer would be the best choice for my 2001 trans am ws6 with automatic transmission ???
Old 03-15-2011, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like a granatelli
Old 03-15-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

if thats truely what you want instead of a good vcm suite and a wideband, i would say a Diablo predator....
Old 03-15-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a Diablo Predator for sale. $250
Old 03-16-2011, 03:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hell I have one for sale too! Same model, same price.

But to answer your question, GMHTP did a write up a while back that compared several handheld units and overall the Diablo seemed the best to me. It didnt make as much power as one other model that they tested (I dont remember the name of it, I think it was Italian?) but that one gave the car really erratic idle that they mentioned was pretty annoying. And I can imagine that would be even worse with an Automatic car.

The other thing I can say for Diablo is that their customer service has been great for me so far. I asked Mike some questions a few times and he was always helpful and quick to respond.

I had a hypertech for my 96 and never was very happy with it. Just didn't seem to do much for power but I did like how it made it shift harder. (Diablo's do that too)

The other advice I can give is that if you do go with a handheld, once all the programming is done, disconnect the battery for a few hours so the car will have to relearn its parameters with the new tune. It does this either way but this makes it happen "quicker". In reality, it just makes it easier for you to notice the seat of the pants difference. Otherwise you end up thinking, "I can't tell if it's any faster or not". BUT, as previously stated, a good dyno tune or mail order will probably get you a lot more from your car.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brett's '01 ws6 som
Wondering what programmer would be the best choice for my 2001 trans am ws6 with automatic transmission ???
I got a hyper tech that looks absolutely brand new. original box,paperwork and i think decals. $125 with free shipping
text 9378770000 or tw-tool@hotmail.com
Old 03-16-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Do the hand held programmers also do a stock tune to return everything to original? I've got some spark knock in upper RPMs on my 2000 TA and I'd like to make sure it was starting with a stock tune to rule that out. I don't know if it was ever tuned by the previous owner or not.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Saturn5

Do the hand held programmers also do a stock tune to return everything to original? I've got some spark knock in upper RPMs on my 2000 TA and I'd like to make sure it was starting with a stock tune to rule that out. I don't know if it was ever tuned by the previous owner or not.
yes the hand helds have an option for a stock tune
Old 03-17-2011, 03:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturn5

Originally Posted by Madellous
yes the hand helds have an option for a stock tune
Not to argue but it sounds to me like Saturn is asking a different question. Saturn, if you are concerned that someone has already done some tuning to your car and are wanting to get a programmer to change it back to stock then no it wont do that. It would read your current tune and consider it to be the "stock" tune in case you ever wanted to return to it.

Now, if I misunderstood the question then please forgive my butting in and listen to everything that Madellous said. Because he is correct, that you can change from stock to custom and back as you please, with any of the handhelds.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Alittle reading for you guys.......

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._in/index.html
Old 03-21-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
Not to argue but it sounds to me like Saturn is asking a different question. Saturn, if you are concerned that someone has already done some tuning to your car and are wanting to get a programmer to change it back to stock then no it wont do that. It would read your current tune and consider it to be the "stock" tune in case you ever wanted to return to it.

Now, if I misunderstood the question then please forgive my butting in and listen to everything that Madellous said. Because he is correct, that you can change from stock to custom and back as you please, with any of the handhelds.
You hit the nail on the head. So they'll make a copy of your current tune so you can return to it, but they don't have a "factory" tune to install. That's what I was wondering.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:55 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Please keep the comments regarding programmers for sale by private message only. We don't want those replies clogging up this thread. Thanks!

Scott

My opinion would be to get yourself hooked up with a good shop that has someone who does tuning on a dyno. I tried the hand-held programmer route, but never was completely satisfied with the results.

Quick Reply: programmer for 2001 ws6