Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

What the hell is going on? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the hell is going on? HELP

I have a '98 ws6 TA 6 speed. One day driveing home from work the low oil light and service engine light pop on for a split second and the car lunges forward, now the car has my attention, it does it again so i pull over and get it towed. ( i dont want to risk any powertrain damage) My mechanic finds nothing wrong, so yesturday im drivein home from work again and this time the 2 lights pop on and off and the car lunges forward and reves to 3000 rpm and stays there sorta in a panic on I95 I pull over i put the car in neutral and pushed the clutch in and out than shut off the car. again get it towed to the shop (they work on a lot of f-body cars) and they drove it for a hour on and off the highway and cant get it to do anything. and ideas on this????
Old 04-12-2011, 11:47 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Any codes in the PCM? I'd swap the PCM with a known good one and see if the problem goes away.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like somethings going on with your computer, somethings not reading right for a split second and sending your poor car for a loop
Old 04-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Have you done any upgrades lately? Maybe something electrical, stereo?
Old 04-24-2011, 06:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lee D
I have a '98 ws6 TA 6 speed. One day driveing home from work the low oil light and service engine light pop on for a split second and the car lunges forward, now the car has my attention, it does it again so i pull over and get it towed. ( i dont want to risk any powertrain damage) My mechanic finds nothing wrong, so yesturday im drivein home from work again and this time the 2 lights pop on and off and the car lunges forward and reves to 3000 rpm and stays there sorta in a panic on I95 I pull over i put the car in neutral and pushed the clutch in and out than shut off the car. again get it towed to the shop (they work on a lot of f-body cars) and they drove it for a hour on and off the highway and cant get it to do anything. and ideas on this????
I had the exact same problem before, come to find out I had a short in my IAC, onced replaced it solved the problem. Try it.

Quick Reply: What the hell is going on? HELP