Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Weird starting/ignition problem with my '98 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird starting/ignition problem with my '98 Firebird

Ok it was raining really hard one day last month and I drove home. The next day I tried to start it and it would not start. This was around early march. I didn't have any money to get it fixed until now. I'll say in between early March til today I tried to start the car about 10x and it would continue to crank and not turn over.

Keep in mind I don't know anything about cars. I told my mechanic that my check engine light was on before he came over. So soon as he get here he hooks up the check engine diagnostic machine down underneath the steering wheel and the car INSTANTLY starts up. So my idle air control valve was full of carbon so i got a new one of them and that got rid of the check engine light. So I ride around thinking it's all good but 15 mins later it's back not starting up. So my guy thinks it could be the ignition control module since it's not working since the engine was hot. So we see one of the ignition coils ( #1 which fires first) was very corroded. So we tested the module twice it passed so I got a new ignition coil and kept the two old ones on there since they were in good condition.....still not starting.

We could figure out anymore issues so I came here. My mechanic said it could be the crank sensor or the cars security system. Someone please tell me they this problem so I can be steered in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if it the same system, but I had replace something to do with the security system in my step-daughter's 97 Sunfire. Called Passlock or something like that. Her car had some of the same symptoms, intermittent stalling and would not start. Usually though, after about 10-15 mins it would finally start. I believe that it should kick a code out if that is the problem though. Again, I don't know if this would apply to a 98 Bird, but something to look at.

Looked at the bill for the repair, p1629D is the code they put on the bill. Something about an open Passlock sensor.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Try cleaning the chips in your ignition keys with Isopropyl alcohol. Also in the ignition.A Q-tip works good, just make sure the cotton does'nt get stuck in key slot.
I had a '99 Monte Carlo that displayed the same symptoms. I did this and never had a problem after that.
The next step would be to go to a GM dealer and get a brand new key cut. It cost me
$22 at dealer to have this done.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The VATS(that's what it's called on F-bodies) wouldn't allow a car to even turn the engine over. You'll turn the key, nothing happens and the SECURITY light comes on. 10 minutes later, you can try again. There's a VATS Bypass mod but it sounds like it wouldn't help you. When it can't start, go unplug the fuel line at the fuel filter. Unplug the line that goes to the tank. Gas should dribble out. Turn your key to run and gas should spray out. If it doesn't spray, the problem is with your fuel system.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Default Someone please help me with my problem

Okay my car started having this problem where you turn the key and it wont even crank but you keep messing with it and every now and then it will catch...somedays it will turn on every try and then out of nowhere it will do that...it started to do that after i did the cam and tuned it...anyone know what it is?
Old 03-22-2014, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

Bone stock, is your security light on?

Quick Reply: Weird starting/ignition problem with my '98 Firebird