Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Anti theft issues, (FIXING) information

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti theft issues, (FIXING) information

I have a 2001 pontiac trans am. I could not get the damn car running due to the security light flashing. I checked the battery, took the key to have the resistance read, and checked fuses, and relays, and nothing. So then I started the chore of taking the steering colum apart. I took it all the way to the cylinder apart, steering wheel, air bag (which there is a particular way you have to disconnect it.) then took out the air bag module, then the pressure plate, then the turn signal switch. Then I found the problem. One of the wires connected to the lock cylinder was frayed apart. (The white one in the pic. This controls the resistance. I sodered it back together taped it up, and now my car is running again. So if you are having the same issue here is a fix for you. Just fyi.. This is a common problem due to where the wires are. They get stuck between the lock cylinder and a peice of plastic in there are fray apart. Pic shows you below.
Attached Thumbnails Anti theft issues, (FIXING) information-steering.jpg  
Old 06-05-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Good info to have but...you could've saved yourself a lot of work and had VATS turned off via a tune to your car's computer.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Coincidence: YESTERDAY the garage found that very same, white wire broken in my 2001 Hawk. The symptoms in my case lacked the flashing security light. i had dash lights, bells but absolutely nothing when i turned the key. Congratulations on finding it yourself!

Quick Reply: Anti theft issues, (FIXING) information