Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Removing turn signal housings on a `02 T/A

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing turn signal housings on a `02 T/A

This weekend im going to repair a couple of cracks in both of my front turn signal housings and in the process i`m going to tint them also. Whats the best way to remove them? I know there the trap door on the bottom of the front bumper, but is there an easier way to do it so i dont have to jack the car up just to get to the housings...maybe from the top some how?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pop the headlights up, remove the plastic bezels and try your best at squeezing your hand/arm in there. If you're slender you can do it...if you're tubby, you'd better do it the right way from the bottom.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Sounds good. Im a little bit tubby, so i`ll try to top method first, but i wont force my arm in there and mess anything up lol. Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i did it by leaving the headlights up and removing the plastic shroud then went from the bottom to make it easier, slid right in and done.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Launching!

I`ll definitely try both ways but i have a feeling i`ll be going from the bottom. Its just hard to see what your doing after you unbolt the flap at the bottom of the front bumper.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here is my old and new pic side by side

Old 07-31-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought it was easier going in from the bottom.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Saturn5
I thought it was easier going in from the bottom.
This...
I also used the open inlet under the turn signal housing, I don't have small hands either. I'm used to working in tight spaces being a helicopter mechanic but dropping the access panel on the bottom and using the inlet worked out just fine for me. I did this swap at an autozone parking lot and it took about 20 minutes. Of course this was after removing a good clear housing of a TA at the junk yard and that took me about 40 min of sweat and foul language. Funny thing about this thread was that while I was on the ground pissed off at the junk yard I kept thinking if there was a better way to do it from the top.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Personally, and this is just a thought, I wouldn't bother repairing them, the bulbs will just continue to heat the plastic and melt it. The fix I used was to replace the housings and install LEDs, problem solved. But, as stated above, you can get to the housings from the top or the bottom, whichever is easier for you, and good luck with the repair.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowTA1
Personally, and this is just a thought, I wouldn't bother repairing them, the bulbs will just continue to heat the plastic and melt it. The fix I used was to replace the housings and install LEDs, problem solved. But, as stated above, you can get to the housings from the top or the bottom, whichever is easier for you, and good luck with the repair.
That's what I did. Two new housings and swapped over to LEDs at the same time. I haven't had any issues since. It's been maybe a year or so.

Quick Reply: Removing turn signal housings on a `02 T/A