Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1998 Firebird. ABS INOP on light after alignment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Firebird. ABS INOP on light after alignment.

I have a mostly stock 1998 Firebird with the v6 and auto trans. The car has no issues at 166k. I noticed that the front end felt a bit tight so I had it aligned and they replaced my driver's side front tie rod end. Upon returning the car the ABS INOP light was on. I took it back today and the guy at the shop gave me some bull about how I needed to have my computer "reprogrammed". The light was not on before I had the work done there. I now have no ABS but I need my car. I am a full time college student and I also work full time. Additionally I have a girlfriend so you can tell I don't have a lot of free time or money to deal with this. Any suggestions? Should I make the shop deal with this? How sure can I be that they are responsible for the problem? Thanks
Old 10-28-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 165 Likes on 149 Posts

That happened to me several months ago on my 1994 Firebird. I took it to the dealership and they told me my third brake light was burned out. They replaced both bulbs and the light went out. Have someone stand behind your car and check yours out.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:22 AM

Hey Nathan. Thanks man. You are confirming my thoughts. I read this somewhere else the other day and had a buddy at work check the third brake light. It was out and I pulled the bulbs out yesterday. They were blown like a glass ornament. I haven't had a chance to get the parts store but I will report back and let y'all know if this solves the issue.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:51 PM
Teching In

i got on the braks one day 2 prevent fender bender now 4 outa 5 tims drivng my camaro the abs,brake,and,asr light comes on lookng 4 info was thinking mite just b dirty sensor
Old 10-30-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

check to make sure the sensor is actually plugged in, and that the hub is in decent shape. if it looks super rusty and/or super dirty, the sensors can't read if the hubs become this way. but you can use a scanner to check for abs codes, which is obviously the best route.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Teching In

thanks man guna have 2 find some time 2 plug my scanner in was thinking it only reads if check engine light is on
Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure for some reason they didn't ding a speed sensor or something changing the tie rod. Gotta get that code pulled. They should at least do that for you. A lotta cheaper code readers won't do body codes. But if there is an idiot light on, there is a code. If its a wheel speed sensor code on the side they put a tie rod in I'd have them fix it.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:32 AM

So I replaced the third brake light. The light is still on. My code reader at work throws no codes related to abs. Maybe it is cheap. I don't know. I do know that I want the light off. And if the abs really isn't working (it feels like it is) then I want that to work too because the deer are everywhere right now. So I should tell them to check the speed sensor?

Thanks

Last edited by SonVolt; 11-02-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Banned

Look to see if they damaged a wire going to a sensor.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the wires going to the sensor for sure, and make sure you don't have a bad fuse for the ABS as well.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Teching In

i cant get the brake,abs,and ,asr light off i check the fuse all the dirt and dust is off sensor and hub wires are good cant get codes 2 show on scanner mayb cuz i payd 220 for scanner??? i the whole brake system looks good anti lock works i just tryd slaming braks i dont no what els 2 do but 2 start replacing parts the lights comes off once out of 4 wich makes me think sensor
Old 11-23-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by WarShrike
Check the wires going to the sensor for sure, and make sure you don't have a bad fuse for the ABS as well.
I checked this out. Fuse is good. Third brake light is replaced and working. I'm not sure what the sensor looks like on these cars.

I guess I should give an update on this situation. ABS light is still on. My OBD2 only shows a code for the catalyst and a misfire. The catalyst code is more than likely because it has flowmasters. The ABS light does not throw a code to my reader. It is a relatively cheap reader. The shop said that their code reader threw "tons" of codes related to ABS and that I need to "have my computer checked by GM". The ABS itself seems to work fine. The brakes don't feel much different. The problem is that my car still feels pretty unstable. There are numerous shakes and shimmies at high speeds, the steering is tight and it occasionally pulls to the right. I'd even say it accelerates slower than it did when I got it. I am not sure if the caliper is sticking, if I have bad shocks/struts, bad tires or out of balance wheels... The shop can't seem to tell me what is actually going on and I am afraid to take it to Firestone because they always to to over charge me for service. I am no mechanic, but I am starting to think that half the guys in the business aren't either. What types of things can I check to diagnose this issue? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Teching In

I had my ABS INOP light on for over year on my 1998 Firebird. When I first scanned it at my work it through a ton of codes and the guys I worked with said that the BCM (Brake Control Module) probably needed to be replaced. That is $1000 part. Since my car was driveable, I wasn't going to buy a new one.

That being said... I took my bird into my Electricity class Lab and scanned it there. (this was like 8 months after I scanned at my work). I got a Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor CKT problem code. Turned out the wiring to the WSS had been broken/corroded. So I crimped the broken wire together, cleared the code and that fixed the problem.

So I'd say, check all your WSS and wires to make sure that they all check out
Old 12-02-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't see in anyway that a third brake like can be related to an ABS system. Have it scanned and see what codes come up. Also. Does the abs inop light come on as soon as u turn on the car and stay on? Or does it come on while driving?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by mannyman84
I don't see in anyway that a third brake like can be related to an ABS system. Have it scanned and see what codes come up. Also. Does the abs inop light come on as soon as u turn on the car and stay on? Or does it come on while driving?
It is always on after I start the engine. It comes on as I turn the key and stays on until the keys are out of the ignition. I don't understand why the third brake light would have been related either but a lot of people have reported that so it must have some validity somewhere.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SonVolt
It is always on after I start the engine. It comes on as I turn the key and stays on until the keys are out of the ignition. I don't understand why the third brake light would have been related either but a lot of people have reported that so it must have some validity somewhere.
No way. 2 totally different circuits, they have no relation. Maybe just a coincidence.

Anyway. It's a pretty easy way to check if it's the module or a broken wire in the ABS speed sensors. Pm me for details

Quick Reply: 1998 Firebird. ABS INOP on light after alignment.