Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Broken battery clip, how to hold down batteries

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011 | 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Broken battery clip, how to hold down batteries

The coolant reservoirs have a clip/lip over the top that is supposed to hold the battery in place. It is very common that they break.

I don't just want to fork over money for a new reservoir that is just going to crack again in time anyway, I'm looking for a more permanent solution like a battery hold down. What have some of you done to address this?
Old 11-01-2011 | 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Rock Auto sells a Dorman reservoir for $23, I bought one and it works great. It doesn't come with the battery hold down clamp, you reuse the GM one. The GM clamp is alittle too big to fit into the recess in the reservoir and clamp the battery without straining the plastic on the tank that always breaks. What I did is cut down the bolt on clamp part so it fit the tank better and still clamps the battery.
Old 11-01-2011 | 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for this, mine and a buddies have broken in the last few weeks, been looking around for a solution...
Old 11-01-2011 | 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

$22.89

DORMAN Part # 603116 Coolant Reservoir; No Low Fluid Sensor

Old 11-01-2011 | 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guppymech
Rock Auto sells a Dorman reservoir for $23, I bought one and it works great. It doesn't come with the battery hold down clamp, you reuse the GM one. The GM clamp is alittle too big to fit into the recess in the reservoir and clamp the battery without straining the plastic on the tank that always breaks. What I did is cut down the bolt on clamp part so it fit the tank better and still clamps the battery.
I'm sorry I don't understand what you did. Do you think you could post a picture and/or elaborate further?

What do you mean by reusing the GM clamp?
Old 11-01-2011 | 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

The part that has the battery hold down bolt running through it....it's kind of trapezoid shaped, right. When you get a replacement overflow reservoir/battery mount you'll see that the trapezoid shaped battery hold down doesn't fit the battery tray part so good, it's alittle too big when bolted in place when a battery is installed and it puts alot of stress on the battery tray lip and that is why it breaks. I cut this trapezoid piece down so it fits the tray better with the battery installed. If you look at the pieces you'll see what I mean.
Old 11-03-2011 | 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Took another look at the reservoir and I see what you mean. Thanks.

Is this clip setup strong enough to hold down a battery in a racing situation. Will it pass tech inspection?

When installing the replacement reservoir you are supposed to transfer the stock low fluid sensor over right?

Last edited by RedVertTA; 11-03-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Broken battery clip, how to hold down batteries