Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Heating/ AC issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heating/ AC issue

I have a 2002 firebird trans am.

Problem: My heat and AC work great! But when my car is idling there is a funny smell that blows out of the vent especially when the heat is on. After I get done driving I look under the hood my belts are fine, im not leaking any fluids and all my levels are fine, new brakes new tires...i only mention this at the time I thought this a little novice but maybe my brakes were getting hot or maybe cause new tires were breaking in.......IDK this problem is driving me crazy as well as the smell it smells like a burning belt mixed with something wet ...i was told it might be my heater core leaking but I want to be a little more certain before i tear into it. Can someone give me any device ?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:27 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

"....especially when the heat is on"

I think this is the clue here. I'll say you need a new heater core. Lotsa work so confirm it first.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Teching In

The heater core is not bad. Minus trying to get the hoses off the "core" itself was a 45 min job. The hoses sucked. I ended up using a dermal to cut the pinch connections off and replace the hoses with the core. I used about 1' of 3/4 hose for the large side and I think it was 5/8 hose for the small/short side. and standard hose clamps to reconnect.

this is what I did ( http://shbox.com/1/heater_hose_repair.html ) but left the hoses in the car. the 3/4" hose took some careful doing but it came off pretty easy.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Launching!

so what would it be than ?
Old 01-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Teching In

feel around on the passenger side foot well, if its leaking you should feel it / see it.

Or pop the glove box off and the access panel below the glove box. and take the heater core cover off and see if its the problem.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Their isnt any residual moisture or dampness on the passenger side....this is good I will check the core tommorrow when i have a little more free time
Old 01-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Ok I removed the blower just because i was down there and it was making a buzzing sound as another poster was having the same issue it was recommended that i clean it ....sure enough their was all kinds of leaves inside it, than it occured to me that my odd smell might be related to the leaves i took the cover off the heater core and it is shiny like new no corrosion or leaks and no leaves. So I check the vent that the air flows through to get to the blower their is apparently another radiator behind it which is considerably cooler but their was ALOT of leaves plastered to it and as I dug the leaves out they were all wet and moldy :S and didnt smell that great .....so for all those who have a weird smell pumping into ur car thats like a wet burning belt its moldy leaves in the vent before your blower .
Old 01-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Teching In

Nice! you may want to spray some lysol through the vents as well to kill off any lingering smell and mold.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:51 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Good info to know. I guess you parked long term in a forest during fall?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Launching!

ok nvm its still making that burning belt smell >.< any ideas anyone
Old 05-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Launching!

after long deliberation i still have not found the cause. I have moved on to figuring it might be leaking fluids onto something hot so i checked all the fluids and hoses found a small leake at the base of the power steering pump....which if u want to do it right and replace the hose that goes from the steering to it and all the seals and resvoir took atleast of day......and no thanx to auto stores for not carring a closed inline 18mm wrench. Anyway I assumed it hade been the steering fluid leaking onto my alternator and that was the smell cleaned everything up and it went away for a small time...well atleast diminished greatly but i still smell it >.< and its coming back. So i crawled back underneath to inspect everything everything was still for the most part clean has anyone else had this issue ?

Quick Reply: Heating/ AC issue