Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

New member. Have a question on exhaust pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member. Have a question on exhaust pipes

Hi all,

My first post here. My wife has a 2002 Trans Am WS6 with ram air. It's a blast with the manual 6 speed but the sound is a bit dull. We decided to not do anything extreme to it and simply change the muffler for a magnaflow.

I looked all over this place but find a lot of different answers. What size are the inlet and outlets on my stock muffler so I know which one to get. Which Magnaflow muffler works on these? 12266? 12267?

The car is in storage quite a ways from home so I can't simply check the size myself.

I would be doing the swap in my driveway, can this be done when all I have is some jack stands? Is the stock muffler welded on so I'd have to cut it off? Can the new muffler be bolted on with clamps? I don't have a welder. Anything else I need to remove to gain access or is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks for any help!

D
Old 01-11-2012, 11:16 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to ls1tech!

The factory exhaust (from the exhaust manifolds back) is welded together as one complete unit. They hung them on the cars on the assembly line before the rear axle, etc. Therefore, you'll need to cut the muffler off with the cutting tool of your choice. I'd recommend a reciprocating saw with a longer blade in it.

The exhaust size is an odd size....I believe it's 2 3/4", so you'll need to have a muffler shop weld the new muffler & tailpipes back on for you.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply and the welcome!

I can probably drop the entire system off at the muffler shop to have it welded as long as I put some good marks on it.

If the entire catback needs to come off to take to the muffler shop, am I looking at removing the axle here?

Hopefully someone else will know the inlet and outlet sizes, there seem to be several different opinions so I'm a bit hesitant to order the muffler and end up with the wrong size.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:49 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=Doc74;15826754]Thanks for the reply and the welcome!

If the entire catback needs to come off to take to the muffler shop, am I looking at removing the axle here?

You won't need to take the exhaust off. A muffler shop can just make the necessary cuts around the muffler for you.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Teching In

So I got the Trans Am back, crawled under the rear of the car and was very happy to see all the easy access. I thought this would be a breeze but then noticed the original muffler seemed a bit larger than the new Magnaflow 12267.

The Magnaflow muffler is 18" long, 24" total. Schematic here: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=12267

The original muffler is 22" long, that's the body of the muffler only, not including the pipe ends.

Also the inlet is 2.5" to 2.75" but certainly not 3".

The width of the muffler is also different. The original is about 11" wide whereas the Magnaflow is more narrow. This would be no issue really but it also means that on one side the inlet and outlet are about 2" closer together so one tailpipe will stick out more than the other. Since I will be cutting off the original tips and replacing them with ovals, again not a big deal but it's one more thing to do.

I know that with some step down pipes I can make this work IF I weld it, but I'm using clamps so I think this will not work. That was a waste of money!

Any Magnaflows out there that are closer to stock size or do I need to make this work?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:34 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

This Magnaflow muffler is stainless, you'll have an issue welding it to the stock pipes.

I recommend you have a good look at the Magnaflow 15684 cat-back system. It's really nice, all stainless, looks and sounds great. It'll come with everything you'll need to do the installation.

One of our sponsors here, ws6.com, has good prices and usually has things in stock.

Quick Reply: New member. Have a question on exhaust pipes