Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

First LS1! Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by transamtom
Congrats I think you got a good deal.

Headers,Cat Back,LS6 Intake Manifold,RLCA's PHD Rod,Subframe connectors should pretty much eat up that $1500
Yeah, thatll pretty much do it for my money..
Old 04-24-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JACornell
As I have been told on here about starting mods, suspension lca, new poly bushings, gears, possibly new tubular k-member, pan hard bar, torque arm.
Originally Posted by JACornell
Only reason I put that if because i'm doing one for future mods on my car, looking to put it on a diet for straight line and possibly road track duties.
If this is the case then you need to search around here.
Poly bushings are only adequate if you only drive in a strait line on smooth surfaces, and even at that a rod end would perform better. Your suspension needs to articulate to work, poly bushings in control arms will bind, hurting handling and ride quality.
As for the rest of the mods, they may help marginally for traction(tires will make or break it), but won't do squat for handling. Suspension-wise Good shocks will make the biggest handling difference, followed by good springs and swaybars, and a watts link. Search around a lot before you buy anything, there are parts out there that do nothing, and parts that will hurt one performance aspect of the car (like handling or traction) but benefit the other.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
If this is the case then you need to search around here.
Poly bushings are only adequate if you only drive in a strait line on smooth surfaces, and even at that a rod end would perform better. Your suspension needs to articulate to work, poly bushings in control arms will bind, hurting handling and ride quality.
As for the rest of the mods, they may help marginally for traction(tires will make or break it), but won't do squat for handling. Suspension-wise Good shocks will make the biggest handling difference, followed by good springs and swaybars, and a watts link. Search around a lot before you buy anything, there are parts out there that do nothing, and parts that will hurt one performance aspect of the car (like handling or traction) but benefit the other.
Do you have a website you would suggest to get the shocks, springs, and swaybar from?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Millner30
Do you have a website you would suggest to get the shocks, springs, and swaybar from?
Yep, this is going to be the best bang for your buck IMO:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=90&ModelID=7
Made ground up specifically for auto-x (fstock) and has proven itself with multiple national SCCA wins. This is not overly low or harsh, its firm but not jarring (think C5 Z06 or BMW E46 M3 like), and the balance and grip are ridiculous, you can push the car so hard...
See it in action here, and how Sam developed the setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weWQHijkSU8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDxe1lHIxuE
Take note this is a full weight, registered street car, no chassis stiffening, with just bolt ons and simple bolt in suspension with R compound (315) tires.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not a bad deal.

Quick Reply: First LS1! Help Please!