Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

97 T/A Electrical Advise

Old 05-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 97 T/A Electrical Advise

Car is a 97 T/A I bought used recently and it has an issue, when I originally bought it several months ago it was dead at the ignition switch and that's why the owner was selling it. The car started for some reason and it was purchased and driven home. All fluids changed, parked in the garage for winter and minimally driven since. Yesterday the wife and I took it to Pa for a very enjoyable ride and all was well until we came out of a store to leave, the car didn't fire right off, kinda like it wasn't getting fuel but eventually started and we left. Enjoyed more of a ride and pulled over at a store to gps home when we got lost since I wasn't completely trusting the car, went to leave and car stalled but started up and it drove fine all the way home.

Went to move the car this am and nothing, radio works and a few electrical items work but no ignition.
I checked the spade fuses, in line fuses by the battery and all have voltage on the back side, tried scanning the car and scan tool will not communicate. Lowered steering column to check for burnt or loose wires and connections but see nothing, checked connectors out of firewall and at computer and nothing seems wrong.

There is no power going to the gauges, starter, and fuel but all lights and everything else seems to have voltage.

Any direction is appreciated.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting I have no idea, sounds like you've gotten a good start, I'm very curious to see what it is, lotta knowledgeable guys hear who I'm sure will chime in. good luck
Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Launching!

This could be way off or even a stupid suggestion but my 02 jeep had similar symptoms. Electrics would work but it would not start or even turn over then we would wait a bit and bam it would work. Ended up being a module in the transmission. Might be worth a look
Old 05-28-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find your theft deturrant (aka - VATS) relay - behind and to the RIGHT of the glove box, check for a loose ground wire - it's the only small black wire on that 4 pin connector. If the relay doesn't "click" when you turn the ignition to "Start" then the ground wire is loose or the relay is bad (Assuming that B+ is flowing to the relay).

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

I posted the same question on another forum and here is some info that may help others,

My symptoms are there are no lights or gauges that come on at the dash cluster. Horn, lights, rear defrost, windows, door locks, interior lights and everything else seems to be as before.

The ignition switch powers the under hood fuse box fuse #11, the 10amp fuse labeled ignition, I have no voltage at this fuse or the #10 or the #9 fuse. I do have voltage on the back side of the fusible links.

I am pretty sure it is the ignition switch located down the coulumn part #D1473C, the tell tale sign is the fact none of the guages and gauge lights work.

I will update when the part arrives and I get it installed.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Teching In

When you put the key in and try to turn it over is the Security Light on the Dash? I had this same issue. I went down to the dealer and bought new key for $23 and have not had the problem since.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bravo863
When you put the key in and try to turn it over is the Security Light on the Dash? I had this same issue. I went down to the dealer and bought new key for $23 and have not had the problem since.
When the key is in and I try to turn it over no security light or anything else, dash cluster is completly dead.

I may go ahead and get a key this week at the dealer, nothing wrong with alittle proactive maintenance for $23.00. My chip and key may even be the original to the car.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2012, 04:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by great421
Find your theft deturrant (aka - VATS) relay - behind and to the RIGHT of the glove box, check for a loose ground wire - it's the only small black wire on that 4 pin connector. If the relay doesn't "click" when you turn the ignition to "Start" then the ground wire is loose or the relay is bad (Assuming that B+ is flowing to the relay).

Good luck!
I will be going in this direction if the ignition doesnt fix it and have thought of bypassing it all together.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by black79transam
This could be way off or even a stupid suggestion but my 02 jeep had similar symptoms. Electrics would work but it would not start or even turn over then we would wait a bit and bam it would work. Ended up being a module in the transmission. Might be worth a look
That would drive me absolutely nutz, great fix and thanks for sharring.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:04 AM
Launching!

Maybe ur igntion switch went bad
Old 05-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1TA_956
Maybe ur igntion switch went bad

Car is running again and fires right up as it should, replaced burnt ignition switch and melted blue pigtail.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by echos67

Car is running again and fires right up as it should, replaced burnt ignition switch and melted blue pigtail.
Sweet - Good job!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 T/A Electrical Advise