Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2002 Firebird Big 3 Starter Question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 Firebird Big 3 Starter Question!

Hi All!

I'm in the middle of replacing my stock alternator with a high output monster (253 amps) - and am doing the Big 3 at the same time. I bought the set of pre-made cables from a gent here in the forums and have everything routed except the power and ground that go back to my starter. I've got the car jacked up and can see the bolt for the ground but don't see the end of the power to the starter.

I'm guessing I need to drop the starter to get to these - is that correct? Any advice on how to pull the starter? I see a couple bolts but am not sure if that's all there is to it. (new territory down here) It's a 2002 ws6.

Thanks much in advance!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't help with the question, but a bump for your thread, and more info on the alternator.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have to take the starter out. there are two bolts holding the starter in, both will need to be removed. then you will have the big cable which is battery->starter to unbolt and another small cable (ignition) which goes to the solenoid i believe. once you have the starter out you will will be able to reach the battery cable ground on the back of the block. take that off and you will be able to get your old cable out.then run the new one and thats it.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One quick question...your cable kit...does it totally replace the cable from the alt to the battery? Or does it add an additional cable?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
One quick question...your cable kit...does it totally replace the cable from the alt to the battery? Or does it add an additional cable?
im assuming since he bought a prefabbed kit it was the innovative wiring one. it replaces the entire battery cable with 0 gauge.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank God. There are kits out there that just add a cable in parallel. Well, that is the dumbest and most dangerous practice I've ever seen. What happens when one of the cables gets a tad more resistance than the other? You end up with most of the current flowing through just one of the cables. poof...

Quick Reply: 2002 Firebird Big 3 Starter Question!