Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Finally in an F-body

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So long time no update.

Well in good news I just graduated from college with my BS degree and accepted a position with a very large and good paying company. So that's the best news.

Now I'm trying to figure out which direction to take my car.

->Wheels, The first thing I want to do is to upgrade the wheels. I am pretty set on gun metal OEM c5 Z06 wheels.

->Brakes, mine squeak from time to time and trying to figure out which direction to go. My friend has vette brakes on his, but wants to upgrade further. Said he would sell them to me for a good price. Still have more research to do, but input greatly appreciated.

NOW FOR THE FUN STUFF.

I don't want to build just a drag car. I just want something fun for the weekends and to go on cruises with and can do a fun burn out from time to time.

->Transmission First on my list is pull my transmission. Shifting is rather clunky and I can feel a lot of heat coming from ebrake boot. I've driven a cars with the t56 before and it shifted very smooth. Mine is not smooth at all and you have to really push/pull it into each gear. 2->3 change is still pretty smooth, but that's about it. So I would like to have the trans pulled and gone through to make it shift like a hot knife through butter. Still looking into a possible clutch upgrade during this time.

->Gears, Was told that gears were an easy way to bring a car alive. will be during research ti find out what is best for a weekend car.

->Engine,, I know I definitely want to do some engine work. I have heard the ls6 intake was an easy way to get some power, but I want to do it once. I'm thinking doing a fast 90/90 intake/tb set up for sure. Cam will obviously be purchased and have only recently started looking. I'm sure there will be other things added.

->Exhaust, I have pacesetter LT with an ORY ready to go on. Undecided on what exhaust to do. I'll be moving to oklahoma in a few weeks where there is no emissions tests.

So that's where I'm sitting right now. I greatly appreciate input in all categories. But just wanted to give some sort of update for you guys.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 173 Likes on 155 Posts

Congrats on the new job!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you sir
Old 01-07-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

It's a great looking car. I wouldn't go as far as calling the seller a bastard just because he didn't have gas in the car for you though... Good luck with the build.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97camaroguy
It's a great looking car. I wouldn't go as far as calling the seller a bastard just because he didn't have gas in the car for you though... Good luck with the build.
Haha he could have left just a little bit more in the tank that none but no problems there. Well here she is as of a few hours ago.

Attachment 726359
Old 01-16-2014, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And she made it to her new home nice and safe.

Finally in an F-body-ktgmmj7.png
Finally in an F-body-tfnh9rw.png
Old 01-26-2014, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Put some new speakers in the car so now I have something other than just tweeters.

I'm taking the car next week to get tinted and hopefully found the set of wheels I found can be picked up as well.

I'm looking into doing the CTS-v caliper swap. I really want to the 6 piston calipers but I know the 4 will do. The 4 and 6 use different sized rotors right?
Old 01-27-2014, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 173 Likes on 155 Posts

I believe GMHTP did that brake swap recently. Check out some of the back issues for more info.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been looking around a lot of build threads, each is a tad bit different. So I'm going to pick which one I feel is best, and just follow it with the thread starters guidance if necessary.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Picked these up for cheaper than a CTS-v brake swap. So I had to pick them up.

Finally in an F-body-q472xcy.png
Old 02-11-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Still waiting on my extended brake lines to get here so I can install the brakes.

I want to give some thought into the suspension. I want to lower it a bit and I want it to handle like it's on rails. This won't be a drag car, just for the streets. What can I get to make the suspension better without breaking the bank?

Input is appreciated if anyone even comes through my thread.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tipnitty
Still waiting on my extended brake lines to get here so I can install the brakes.

I want to give some thought into the suspension. I want to lower it a bit and I want it to handle like it's on rails. This won't be a drag car, just for the streets. What can I get to make the suspension better without breaking the bank?

Input is appreciated if anyone even comes through my thread.
First suspension mod for handling should be shocks, end of story. The factory DeCarbon (orange/black) are pretty much truck shocks, they are terrible at best even brand new with 0 miles.
What is "breaking the bank" to you?
You can wait until these go on sale in the next couple months (I think) but you won't find a single part, or combination of parts that will make this much of a difference in handling for the same or less money:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
By FAR the best thing Ive done to the car, and its quite a bit too:
H/C forged stroker, full bolt ons typical stuff
Strano spring/swaybars, FAys2watts link, UMI SFCs, STB, rotojoint LCAs, full length torque arm, relocation brackets, HPS brake pads + blank rotors.
Yeah thats right give me just the Konis over all that. Nothing compares to how much better it makes the car drive/perform. Spend your money once and do it right, you won't regret it.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Really for just shocks? I never thought just shocks would make such a difference. I've knows the shocks weren't great. But I've never heard that before. That price doesn't quite break the bank, so I'll think on that one. Thanks for the advice man.

On a side note. I used to live in Lake St.Louis. Glad to see MO guys on here.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Traded in my DD civic for this beauty. Was wanting a Silverado, but the Ram Hemi impressed me a lot more. Got a lot more features for less price than a silverado as well. 2014 ram quad cab. Signed on the dotted line and she had 3 miles on her.

Finally in an F-body-rghhflx.png
Finally in an F-body-lvraskd.png
Finally in an F-body-eoa8oeb.png
Finally in an F-body-jmml5hm.png
Finally in an F-body-lfdueek.png

Barely fits in my garage lol
Old 03-05-2014, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bought these today. Also picked up the spacers and a set of Nitto Invo tires.

Finally in an F-body-23ql9ww.jpg
Old 03-05-2014, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tipnitty
Thanks guys. I already ordered 2 new window motors as well as the slp shift kit eliminator. Just need a seatbelt guide for the driver seat now.
make sure you have a buddy and a book full of new curse words because I had to replace the window motors on my 97 firebird when I bought it too and it took 2 weekends and lots of new sentences. Good luck though!
Old 03-05-2014, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dutch7
make sure you have a buddy and a book full of new curse words because I had to replace the window motors on my 97 firebird when I bought it too and it took 2 weekends and lots of new sentences. Good luck though!
Oh I know. They were done over a year ago. It wasn't fun.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just wanted to show off todays work. Wilwood 6 piston superlite kit with C6 wheels.

Attachment 726047
Attachment 726048
Attachment 726049
Attachment 726050

Have to order new spacers for the front. The wheels did not clear the brakes. So I bought a universal 5/16" adapter and it cleared. Don't worry, car won't be getting any miles on it until the proper spacers are on. I'll be doing some research on the proper way to do it, so all advice welcome on properly spacing the wheels. The brakes need to be bled again. But there she is.

Also started taking the trim off yesterday, but my 3M wheels showed up today. So next time you see the car and I can take some decent pictures, It won't have the side trim. Next step for the car is to have the paint corrected followed by lowering the car and having the right exhaust sag issue addressed.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

For spacers just make sure they are hub-centric.

As far as shocks go. Shocks, new front control arm bushings, BJs, and tie rod ends are the best things I have done with the car yet, and I've got quite a bit in to the car too lol. I went with Bilsteins because of budget and the car drives just like a sports car should and is just much more fun to cruise in. Konis would be great, but if your going to stay away from the track for the most part then Bilsteins might be the way to go for you. Something you should talk to Strano about really.

Sweet car though man!
Old 03-15-2014, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input man. I ordered the hubcentric spacers this week so they should be in soon. I'll post up the new stance when I get them on this weekend.

Quick Reply: Finally in an F-body