Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Help please, Trans Am stalling at idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please, Trans Am stalling at idle

Hey guys, sorry if this is anywhere else, but I couldn't find my problem. I just bought a 1998 Trans Am M6 and when I first drive it for the first 15-20 minutes it runs perfect then after that when I come to a complete stop or close to one my RPM's drop and the car tries to stall out and also at times when I shift down into 2nd or 3rd it hesitates with the gas then after a few seconds the gas kicks in. I really wanted an LS1 and I would love to have this problem fixed, thanks guys!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

What do you know about the car? Does it have an aftermarket throttle body? Some throttle bodys can react different during clutch in vs clutch out driving depending on how they're tuned. Is there a difference in clutch in vs clutch out? Was it tuned? A sucky tune on its own can affect this as well. Throw both of them together and it's almost a guarantee you'll have issues.

Also could be a clogged fuel filter.

I'm neither an expert mechanic or a tuner. I did have some stalling issues with an aftermarket throttle body that still aren't 100% solved, but are 97% better than the first run at my current setup. A buddy's similar setup with a different throttle body has zero stalling issues. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Could be the idle air control motor, pcv valve, or egr valve. If the ses light is on you can run down to oriellys and run a scan tool on it.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EODguy DS.. I was going to say the same about fuel. But more than likely the guy that sold it to you knew about the issue and was probably trying to sell for the same reason.... More info and we can get you a better response. Where are you located?

Quick Reply: Help please, Trans Am stalling at idle