Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Is This Normal? It's All Exposed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is This Normal? It's All Exposed.

I just bought this 2001 WS6 not too long ago, it reeks of burnt oil in the cab. When I pulled the passenger front wheel off I noticed something that looked strange underneath, just look at the picture. I am new to the LS1..so don't make fun of me. Thanks.

Edit:

There is also something disconnected, you can see it on the top right of the pic...Again, I know nothing about these cars. Please help. Thank you.

Edit2:

It's an Automatic. The previous owner told me he had a re-manufactured transmission put in not too long ago. The vehicle runs and drives smooth. The motor does one big shake when you go from Park to Drive, but that's all.
Attached Thumbnails Is This Normal? It's All Exposed.-ws6undercarriage.jpg  

Last edited by DRIVERB; 03-26-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:28 AM
TECH Resident

The piece missing is a small piece of plastic held on by a 10mm bolt. Just a little plastic shield. The sensor unplugged is the Low Oil Level sensor and probably is tripping a light on your dash saying Low Oil.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by oChristiano
The piece missing is a small piece of plastic held on by a 10mm bolt. Just a little plastic shield. The sensor unplugged is the Low Oil Level sensor and probably is tripping a light on your dash saying Low Oil.

WOW! Thank you so much, I seriously couldn't find any info 'cause I did not know what anything was called. Yes my low oil light has been on, ha-ha-ha.

Any idea where I can order that plastic peice along with the bolt?

Thanks again!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Try Classic Industries or Hawks Third Gen.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by oChristiano
OK, I found out it's called an "inspection" or "dust cover".
I can't seem to figure out where to buy one or what the part number is.

One more thing. If you noticed in the picture there are a couple of oil drips getting ready to drop..is that normal? The smell of burnt oil just reeks in my cab, normal for these cars? I had a friend drive behind me last night and he said he didn't smell any burnt oil coming from my car, I'm just smelling it in the cab.
You think it has anything to do with the inspection cover being off?
Does any lube or fluid go in where the flywheel is? I'm guessing it being open and exposed, and if it does take some sort of lube or fluid, that it's running dry or splashing it out..IDK, I really don't understand so I would like some help, don't want to be driving it if it needs to be fixed. Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan C
Try Classic Industries or Hawks Third Gen.
I searched both those sites and they do not sell the (((FLYWHEEL COVER))) for my automatic 2000 WS6.

I found Summit Racing sells a bunch, even some universal covers. I'll see what I do. Could I just make my own? Any ideas?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...te-dust-covers
Old 03-26-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by DRIVERB

One more thing. If you noticed in the picture there are a couple of oil drips getting ready to drop..is that normal? The smell of burnt oil just reeks in my cab, normal for these cars? I had a friend drive behind me last night and he said he didn't smell any burnt oil coming from my car, I'm just smelling it in the cab.
No, that is not normal. There should be no burning oil smell or leaks. I would definitely take the car to your favorite mechanic and let him properly diagnose the problems. It's too late now but that should have been done when you bought the car, especially with a re-built tranny that shakes the car when you shift it. Let's hope everything is just minor. May I ask how many miles you have on this car?
Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 AM

OK everyone, found a guy on eBay who sells both the Passenger and Driver side Flywheel cover separately. Now my 4L60E Transmission can be complete.

Here is the link to the Passenger side Flywheel Dust Cover I need. FTR.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-02-LS1-Camaro-Trans-Am-T56-4L60E-Dust-Cover-Shield-Psgr-/370748693682?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5652581cb2&vxp=mtr

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by NC01TA
No, that is not normal. There should be no burning oil smell or leaks. I would definitely take the car to your favorite mechanic and let him properly diagnose the problems. It's too late now but that should have been done when you bought the car, especially with a re-built tranny that shakes the car when you shift it. Let's hope everything is just minor. May I ask how many miles you have on this car?

Last edited by DRIVERB; 04-15-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:05 AM

A few more important questions....

Before installing a flywheel cover should something get lubed?

Were the Flywheel dust covers originally plastic? 'cause if they were hard aluminum, I'm guessing the design of it being a thick strong metal has something to do with the entire transmission design. I was thinking that if I were to replace it with a cheap aftermarket plastic alternative, that this will probably effect something, somehow.

BTW, couldn't find what a used one actually looks like... would really like to know. Tried Google and can't seem to get a shot of one with the cover on.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:35 PM

Anyone an expert?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Yes they were originally plastic. They offer no structural ridgidty and are exactly what you said, an inspection cover.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

For the oil leak I am trying to track down one that appears in the same place. My PCV system was FUBAR behind the intake and I think that was the root. The LS1 also is notorius for the OPSU leaking that is also behind the intake. What I did was get 4 cans of Brake clean some Gunk and a hose and scrubbed my bay from top to bottom so I can find where the leak starts
Old 03-27-2013, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by dropedss86
For the oil leak I am trying to track down one that appears in the same place. My PCV system was FUBAR behind the intake and I think that was the root. The LS1 also is notorius for the OPSU leaking that is also behind the intake. What I did was get 4 cans of Brake clean some Gunk and a hose and scrubbed my bay from top to bottom so I can find where the leak starts
Yeah, the poorly designed PCV system. I was actually gonna get into changing that, noticed cracks on the line, probably 'cause it's so old. Didn't cross my mind that it could have been from there, or at least some of it..thanks for reminding me. I'll definitely take your advice on cleaning the entire motor by hand before searching for the leak, it's really dirty right now. I'll look into the OPSU. Thanks!!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

I found a write up on here on how to make you own PCV system and it was like 25-30 buck instead of the 200 for a factory replacement

Quick Reply: Is This Normal? It's All Exposed.