Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Getting tired

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting tired

I'm getting worn out fixing all the plastic crap in my fbody. The vents crack from being old and brittle, the dash cover is cracked on the defrost vent, the trim around the cluster is cracked by the dogfight switch, the door panels are cracked, of course, and the rear hatch panels are torn to ****. All by the previous owner. The seats are worn down too.

This sounds like a rant I know but it's more like venting because I want to keep the car and make her beautiful again.

I'm seriously thinking about just making my own panels and what not, as expensive as that may sound :/
Old 04-07-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

It sounds like the prior owner never heard of interior 'protectant' or leather care. That's unfortunate. Sorry to hear the aggravation. Ownership of these wonderful cars should be enjoyed.
Maybe your post will aid someone looking for a new ride, so don't feel that you are venting. You may have helped someone look at interiors in a new light and ask the prior owner the pertinent questions before buying. I can't imagine what my interior would look like if I never used Armorall (low gloss) or Mother's protectant over the years since new. It is basically perfect after 12 years now.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Teching In

He painted everything he could pop off too
And I like the way you think NC01TA
Old 04-07-2013, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mike, i would rather get all the things new ... you can find some that are better than OEM.
e.g. 6LE Dashpad .. and you could also find the door panels on ebay .. som have them modified some don't

else you could find everything here & if you dont want to wait go to hawksthirdgen's website ... they have everything that will come to your mind.

GL with that beauty
Old 04-08-2013, 09:59 AM

I never cease to be amazed at how people can do so much to f-ck up the interior of a car
that, even being some years old is not cheap. There's a 10th Annv. on craigslist here in Ala
that looks like somebody pulled a pin and tossed in a grenade and the same under the hood.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC01TA
It sounds like the prior owner never heard of interior 'protectant' or leather care. That's unfortunate. Sorry to hear the aggravation. Ownership of these wonderful cars should be enjoyed.
Maybe your post will aid someone looking for a new ride, so don't feel that you are venting. You may have helped someone look at interiors in a new light and ask the prior owner the pertinent questions before buying. I can't imagine what my interior would look like if I never used Armorall (low gloss) or Mother's protectant over the years since new. It is basically perfect after 12 years now.
i didnt know they had a low gloss version.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

I've seen some part out cars with nice cheap interiors. As far as protectant , 303 is far and away superior.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rumblebox
i didnt know they had a low gloss version.
Yeah, the high gloss is just too reflective and looks a little 'fake' IMO. I actually prefer Mother's nowadays for the dash but this is the new packaging for the 'lower gloss' or 'natural finish detailer' Armorall. Also the old style which I have used for years but I don't believe is available anymore. I have found it extremely useful on my rubber weather stripping for the doors and convertible parts. Really keeps it 'supple'. Click on photo to enlarge.
Attachment 398257

Last edited by NC01TA; 10-03-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was always under the impression that armorall was more detrimental than helpful.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

i was always under the impression that armorall was more detrimental than helpful.
Yes, it is. Use 303.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CopMagnet
Yes, it is. Use 303.
i just bought a small bottle on ebay.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Ace Hardware and sometimes Napa has the 16oz bottles for 15-17 bones.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Just another internet myth that people like to pass on. A multi-million dollar corporation that has it's share of 'haters' and 'poster shills'. Do you really think they would be around for all this time?? Think about it.
It's always, "I heard of this guy that...." You fill in the blank.
I've used the Armorall (all types) since the early 80's on all makes of cars and in the horrible Florida sun too. Never had an issue and my interiors were as close to new as possible, and still are. I still use it for my rubber as I stated earlier, and just prefer the Mother's for better application.
My neighbor uses 303 and it is fine too. I've tried it but don't find it better, so no need to switch.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:56 PM

On a recommendation I tried Meguiars new supreme shine this last weekend. I was very pleased with the results.

Quick Reply: Getting tired