Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Trans Am Vs. Formula

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xxtinktFormula
Bottom line.......All the cars kick super ***!!!
The TA's just have too much foo foo for me the WS6 Formula is a awesome late model muscle car and it will be the Super duty, H/O of this time. This comes from the owner of two 2000 WS6 Formulas, a silver auto hard top and a red 6-speed hard top.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

That's why I love my Firehawk, prettier hood and a lower key spoiler I can actually see over.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

The Formula and Trans-AM are the same performance wise. The TA has almost everything standard. The only Trans-AM options are the 12 disc changer, traction control, and manual transmission. The official HP rating for these cars is 310.

The WS6 Trans-AM gets bigger front and rear sway bars and larger wheels/tires than the standard Trans-AM. Traction control, CD changer and transmission are still optional. The official HP rating for these cars is 325.

The Formula and Trans-AM share the same hood, but the side skirts are gone on the Formula, and the front nose piece, and rear bumper cover are different. The Formula has the base Firebird's integrated spoiler and the Trans-AM gets the full wing.

Firehawks are another story and are the same as the Trans-AM except for the hood and spoiler appearance wise. They do get the larger 275/40ZR17 Firestone Firehawk tires.

They have more significant suspension and performance upgrades. The last models official HP rating if produced after September 01 for the 02 model year was 345.

I think that sums up all the basic differences between the various models.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ButchN
I think the plane jane hoods on the non ram air cars, even the hawk hood are severly lacking in the looks department.

The WS6 rear spoiler "makes" the car look bad ***.
The Firehawk hood is better in my opinion. It still has the pronounced raised lines for the scoops. And has the larger intakes for the ram air. The nicer thing is that the Firehawk hood doesn't reduce visability the way the WS6 hood does. It also keeps the cars lines cleaner.

Although on black cars you can't see the pronouned lines of the Firehawk (WS9) hood as well. On my red car they are pretty easy to see.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:43 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

I'm weird. (lol)

I actually never liked Firebirds. But I've always like Trans Ams.

Part of it was looks, part of it was the word "Firebird", something about it just wasn't right. And part of it was that it was the base model. Technicalities aside, the Trans Am didn't say Firebird anywhere on it. We can really kind think of the line as 3 distinct cars. Some argue, but then, you could call the Camaro and Firebird the same too, which I never would.

Anyway....... The Forumula always looked better than the Firebird. And I certainly respected them. Hell, in the early 2nd Gen, they looked better with the ram air hoods than the T/As did with the shakers (IMO).

In the 4th Gen, they really hosed things up. The Formula doesn't stand out from the base model anymore (visually). And the base spoiler is just.....

It looks like the Mustang spoilers from their previous generation (the 80s). That's just nasty.

The Trans Am still has it goin on though. Mean looks, all the amenities, and all the power. It's the top of the line. What's not to like?

I will say that 98-02 does look really cool with the Firebird front clip and the flat hood. But the spoiler...spoils it.

As for sleepers.....not for me. I don't like rice, or over advertising, but if I have the go, I want the show. I'm not out to race people at the stop light (or drag strip). I'm out to have a kick as time in a mean looking car with killer performance.

Also, I don't like stripper cars. To me, there is no point to not go ***** out and get every option you can afford.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I am a Trans-AM kind of guy myself. Speaking of I think I am going to go outside and clean my Firehawk's interior.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

How do I tell if my car has the WS6 option or not? Im assuming there would have been a badge on the rear, but I have a Hurst badge instead. I have an 01 T/A, 6 speed, 17's, Ram Air, etc. Ive been searching for a bona fide way to tell, but I just cant find it anywhere? Is there somewhere I can plug in my VIN to find out? I have the original window sticker, and it doesnt say WS6 on it so it safe to assume I dont have it?

BTW...Im totally new to these cars, just bought it 4 days ago. And I DO search, I promise.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

On the drivers side door there should be a sticker with your RPO codes. You'll see probably 20 or so various codes. LS1, QM7, and so fourth. They are all three digit codes. Among them would be WS6 if you have it.

The RPO code WS6 denotes the WS6 suspension package.

BTW anyone know of a good RPO decoder for fourth gens.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:43 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Firehawk0220
Firehawks are another story and are the same as the Trans-AM except for the hood and spoiler appearance wise.
The lowrise spoiler with the wide LED light was a 2002 only option. All the other TA Firehawks came with the same TA spoiler.

Originally Posted by HPP
Part of it was looks, part of it was the word "Firebird", something about it just wasn't right. And part of it was that it was the base model. Technicalities aside, the Trans Am didn't say Firebird anywhere on it. We can really kind think of the line as 3 distinct cars. Some argue, but then, you could call the Camaro and Firebird the same too, which I never would.
Go look at a window sticker for any Trans Am and it will say "Firebird Trans Am"
Old 08-16-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
The lowrise spoiler with the wide LED light was a 2002 only option. All the other TA Firehawks came with the same TA spoiler.

Go look at a window sticker for any Trans Am and it will say "Firebird Trans Am"

If I had it to do over again I'd have gotten the Firehawk trans am in nbm or som, with the lowrise spoiler/IROC-style brake light. I do like the front bumper on the formula/firebird better than the TA though
Old 08-16-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DMNSPD

I wasn't aware of the lowrise spoiler being a 2002 only option. I could have sworn I saw 10th anniversary Firehawk's with it. Which were in the 2001 model year.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I love my WS6's But they all are cool On a side note when you get dead set on the whole “it's a Trans-Am and not a Firebird” thing then it's a real ball kicker when you get the title back, and it says Firebird only on it… and I have two true WS6's 02's, but after a couple therapy sessions I got over it
Old 08-17-2004, 07:33 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Firehawk0220
I wasn't aware of the lowrise spoiler being a 2002 only option. I could have sworn I saw 10th anniversary Firehawk's with it. Which were in the 2001 model year.
Oh you're right about those. The 10th anniversary ones and I think the X-men edition were the only other ones to get it.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

What is the weight of a Formula? My friend has a 1LE Z-28 and it weighs 3600 lbs with him in it. My WS6 TA weighs 3725 lbs with me in it and a full tank of gas. As it sets it weighs 3535 lbs.
I think that they are both awesome looking. I have loved the Firebird since I was a kid. I have owned a: 79 TA, 76 TA, 89 Formula, and a 01 WS6 TA. In that order also. I have to look hard to tell if what I am looking at is a Firebird or a Formula. It can be hard to tell, but when you do see a Formula it still brings a smile to my face. I have a good friend that has a 98 WS6 Formula that I haven't talk to in a long time. We both are in the military and I don't know where he is at these days. I need to find him. Oh well I started to get off the subject. It just stated to bring back good times. See what a car can do for ya. Later.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car at the track with me in and a full tank of gas is 3640. I am not really worried about weight because that is somethin a turbo will fix.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've Owned both a Trans AM and A Formula, Personally i like the formula alot better. No one would race me in my T/a =(

Bastards.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Zerokube
I've Owned both a Trans AM and A Formula, Personally i like the formula alot better. No one would race me in my T/a =(

Bastards.
Only rediculous ricers ever try and race me. But honestly on the street I won't go past 80 miles an hour. Maybe 100MPH on the freeway. I'd prefer to do the rest at the track. Although I do know a safe place to drive that is exaclty a 1/4 mile plus some change. I've made G-Timer runs once or twice there.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Angus
The Formula fas fog lights. They are just not in the middle. Every one that doesn't know any better thinks my car is just a Firebird. Unless the cut out is open or I just floor it.

How can they mistake you for a V6 when you have that beautiful Firehawk hood on there? Along with the dual exhaust should make it obvious, and this is all before you even punch the gas.

I love my Firehawk hood on my WS6; There are lot's of Formulas, TA's, and WS6's around here, but I never see any other Firehawk hoods.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:50 AM
12 Second Club

ok lets see how good i am here....

Firebird formula...base Firebird with an LS1 can come as basic as hard top and power nothing no tilt steerign wheel clothe seats....16 inch wheels with auto (2.73) or manual (3.42) rear...rated by GM with 310 hp in 02

the Trans Am has basically everyhting....T-tops Stereo Power everything, leather?, new front and rear bumper with side skirts.....flat hood....winged spoiler optional 17" Z rated wheels....rated 310 hp by gm....comes available with 3.23 rear for auto and 3.42 for manual....suspension may be included

WS6 has all trans am stuff plus larger front and rear sway bars....Ram Air, beter flowing muffler....round tips rather than oval/square...3.23 rear for auto 3.42 rear for manual stock....Z rated 275/40ZR17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS tires rated with 325 hp

Firehawk is optionaly errything you can get what you want cn go as basic as a formula wiht just a lidk and catback witht he hood or as complex as a WS6 with more...such as Bilstein shocks and Auburn rear end....2.73 3.23 3.42 are available....also color combination....come on 275/40ZR17 Firestone Fireshawk tires....
comes with Air Lid and Exhaust rated 345 hp

if i misses soimething ill catch on another time its so past my bed time
Old 09-05-2004, 01:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Louie83
How can they mistake you for a V6 when you have that beautiful Firehawk hood on there? Along with the dual exhaust should make it obvious, and this is all before you even punch the gas.

I love my Firehawk hood on my WS6; There are lot's of Formulas, TA's, and WS6's around here, but I never see any other Firehawk hoods.
It's easy, most people wouldn't know one F-body from another.

Quick Reply: Trans Am Vs. Formula