Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need some suggestions on upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaegon
Yeah I know. I'm not doing anything THAT big.

What's the point in changing a 1LE Elbow? Does it increase the sound or what?
I second holding off till you get a job and then just get a decent cold air intake.

I will say that having to do things around the house for money is pretty good, it helps you think of resourceful ways to make a buck or two.

What are you good at? Have any friends with jobs?
Old 10-09-2013, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you don't have a job yet then save up and do "repair upgrades", when something breaks replace it with a performance part. until you've got a good 1k to 2k in the bank you really shouldn't do anything other then repairs on your car, basically the mindset is that if you blow the tranny or motor you need to have enough cash to repair/replace either of them before you even think about putting money into upgrades, don't be like my friend living paycheck to paycheck because he blows it on crap he doesn't need then doesn't have the money to fix crap on the car when it breaks.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Could I do true duals like this? Have both of the pipes going on the right side of the drive shaft. Something kinda like this http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...ewimg&id=10663

If anyone knows the name of the tips that would be sweet to. I think they would look pretty cool on a T/A

Would there also be a significant change in sound?

Last edited by Jaegon; 10-14-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaegon
Could I do true duals like this? Have both of the pipes going on the right side of the drive shaft. Something kinda like this http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...ewimg&id=10663
Yes you could, but its not going to be cheap and will need some trial/error with fitment.

If anyone knows the name of the tips that would be sweet to. I think they would look pretty cool on a T/A
Those are Camaro CME (center mount exhaust) tips, they wont fit the trans am bumper, at least not out the middle like the Camaro.
Would there also be a significant change in sound?
There would be a massive difference over stock, and a noticeable difference over an aftermarket Y-pipe/catback setup.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Yes you could, but its not going to be cheap and will need some trial/error with fitment.

Those are Camaro CME (center mount exhaust) tips, they wont fit the trans am bumper, at least not out the middle like the Camaro.

There would be a massive difference over stock, and a noticeable difference over an aftermarket Y-pipe/catback setup.
These tips wouldn't work? All I really have no is a 80 series flowmaster muffler and 2 dual tips.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Quad tips would look better for Trans Ams.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

those are the tips i have
Old 10-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

I have the same ones
Need some suggestions on upgrades-axv1r3z.jpg
Old 10-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Teching In

One thing you could do if you haven't already is change the plugs and wires. It's not too expensive, some NGK TR55 plugs are a couple bucks each and and MSD wires run like 60 bucks i think. If the ones on the car are old-ish it could wake the throttle response up a little bit.

And like everyone else said...keep it clean and do regular maintenance. That's a big thing and goes a long way towards longevity

No matter what else you do to your car if your tires don't grip it doesn't matter. Check your tread once a month and put good tires on when your tread wears down. You don't wanna be driving one of these torque-loving cars in the rain with bad tires, no sir.

Some suspension setups with also aid in keeping power planted to the ground, like Bilstein shocks some others mentioned. Good tires and shocks/springs will increase the lateral limits of the car and make it easier to rescue it if you drive like a hooligan and slide a bit. The posi helps but not so much of only one rear tire is touching the asphalt lol

Subframes also improve chassis stiffness and handling in these cars. Compared to shocks and springs, subframes are cheap to buy.

To reiterate the others, don't buy over your budget

When you're old enough, see if you can go to some track days (with an instructor) You can spend a day on the circuit for 250-300 bucks in some places. And learn a lot about your car and how to drive it safely yet vigorously. Some organizations also offer defensive driving and inclement weather driving courses on circuit tracks (those also cost a few hundred bucks)

If you go to the drag strip, do your burnout before your run Don't wanna fishtail on that 2nd gear shift.

If you do exhaust, i'd buy the pieces one at a time (headers, hi-flow cats, catback system) and then install them all at once.

After headers, a tune will maximize potential. Probably get the most out of a dyno tune (but they're usually 350) but for like 150 you can get a good mail order tune from Frost or somebody

Quick Reply: Need some suggestions on upgrades