2000 firebird 5.3 swap, lots of pics and info!! - Page 6 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 firebird 5.3 swap, lots of pics and info!!

Old 02-28-2017, 09:24 AM   #101
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm_mor19 View Post
I am doing a 5.3 swap out of a 2002 Avalanche (LM7) into a 1994 firebird formula (V8). I already bought a smaller oil pan, going carburator with nitrous, .590 lift cam, and a 2005 4l60e with a TCI torque converter (3000-3500 stall). I know I have to get longer push rods. I have to get a new k member but are $400-$670. I have read that an Ls1 k member would allow the 5.3 to bolt up to it. Is it possible to put a Camaro or firebird Ls1 k member into a 1994 firebird and what header would I need? Thanks
LS k-members bolt right in and since you're using the 5.3 and would have the LS k-member, any F-Body specific LS style header could be used.
TechCam97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:40 AM   #102
NKN
Teching In

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I had a few questions.

I'm aiming to swap out my 2000 3.8L Firebird with a LM7 this summer and I was wondering a few things.

First off, do I have to replace the drive shaft on my bird or should I be alright?

Secondly, a friend of mine with a third gen firebird was going to perform the same swap I'm doing, and aside from different parts for the specific years, it should generally be the exact same process as they're really similar cars, right?

Sorry if it's been asked a hundred times before, I'm just trying to get everything together so I know what I need/what to do, first big project I'm doing.

Thanks,
Chris
NKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #103
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKN View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I had a few questions.

I'm aiming to swap out my 2000 3.8L Firebird with a LM7 this summer and I was wondering a few things.

First off, do I have to replace the drive shaft on my bird or should I be alright?

Secondly, a friend of mine with a third gen firebird was going to perform the same swap I'm doing, and aside from different parts for the specific years, it should generally be the exact same process as they're really similar cars, right?

Sorry if it's been asked a hundred times before, I'm just trying to get everything together so I know what I need/what to do, first big project I'm doing.

Thanks,
Chris
The drive shaft length shouldn't change. As for the third vs. fourth gen swaps, they are different processes. The fourth generation cars are best done by taking the engine through the bottom of the car and the third gens are easy to do either way. They have a larger engine bay. The wiring on the third generation cars is completely different. With a painless LSX harness it's a bit easier, but again the process isn't the same. I'm unsure about the V6's in a fourth gen, but you may have to change motor mounts. On a third gen, you'll have to notch the K-member and change the motor mounts.
Spamfritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #104

So, question I had when doing this swap.. What radiator is used? Is it just any standard LS radiator? I have an '02 Firebird with the 3800 Series II in it and I'm swapping it for an L59 (LM7 w/ E85) out of a Yukon XL. I'm currently basing my "shopping list" off of this list: http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_ls1.htm
I have already found the LS K Member and I already have the engine. Thanks guys!

Also, I pulled the ECU and wiring harness with the L59 out of the Yukon XL, will I be able to re-use those or should I get an F-Body harness and ECU?
pcamp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:30 PM   #105
TECH Junkie

Ls radiator is what I used on mine, you have issues with guages and such in the car using a non fbody harness.i went stand alone on my swap so I don't have much experience there. Just about any OE harness can be made a stand alone though since you can disable most of the items that would.cause issue with HPtuners.
blackbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:32 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbyrd View Post
Ls radiator is what I used on mine, you have issues with guages and such in the car using a non fbody harness.i went stand alone on my swap so I don't have much experience there. Just about any OE harness can be made a stand alone though since you can disable most of the items that would.cause issue with HPtuners.

Thanks! I found the radiator with the trans hookup since I have a 4L60E in it currently. I've already got my eyes on new gauges, and will be picking up those with a new k-member to mount it on. I plan to take it to a professional tune shop to have it fully dyno'd and tuned, but should I still eventually invest in a HPTuner?
pcamp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #107
TECH Junkie

that all depends on the goals of the car personally, if you arent going to mod the setup at all once its finished, id be content letting it be done once as long as its done right. Which is the hard part is the done right part. Ive said it a lot lately that anyone with HPtuners calls themselves a tuner so you gotta be careful, if you find a good reputable place the above shouldnt be a problem though
blackbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote