2000 firebird 5.3 swap, lots of pics and info!! - Page 6 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 firebird 5.3 swap, lots of pics and info!!

Old 02-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #101
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm_mor19 View Post
I am doing a 5.3 swap out of a 2002 Avalanche (LM7) into a 1994 firebird formula (V8). I already bought a smaller oil pan, going carburator with nitrous, .590 lift cam, and a 2005 4l60e with a TCI torque converter (3000-3500 stall). I know I have to get longer push rods. I have to get a new k member but are $400-$670. I have read that an Ls1 k member would allow the 5.3 to bolt up to it. Is it possible to put a Camaro or firebird Ls1 k member into a 1994 firebird and what header would I need? Thanks
LS k-members bolt right in and since you're using the 5.3 and would have the LS k-member, any F-Body specific LS style header could be used.
TechCam97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:40 AM   #102
NKN

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I had a few questions.

I'm aiming to swap out my 2000 3.8L Firebird with a LM7 this summer and I was wondering a few things.

First off, do I have to replace the drive shaft on my bird or should I be alright?

Secondly, a friend of mine with a third gen firebird was going to perform the same swap I'm doing, and aside from different parts for the specific years, it should generally be the exact same process as they're really similar cars, right?

Sorry if it's been asked a hundred times before, I'm just trying to get everything together so I know what I need/what to do, first big project I'm doing.

Thanks,
Chris
NKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #103
Staging Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKN View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I had a few questions.

I'm aiming to swap out my 2000 3.8L Firebird with a LM7 this summer and I was wondering a few things.

First off, do I have to replace the drive shaft on my bird or should I be alright?

Secondly, a friend of mine with a third gen firebird was going to perform the same swap I'm doing, and aside from different parts for the specific years, it should generally be the exact same process as they're really similar cars, right?

Sorry if it's been asked a hundred times before, I'm just trying to get everything together so I know what I need/what to do, first big project I'm doing.

Thanks,
Chris
The drive shaft length shouldn't change. As for the third vs. fourth gen swaps, they are different processes. The fourth generation cars are best done by taking the engine through the bottom of the car and the third gens are easy to do either way. They have a larger engine bay. The wiring on the third generation cars is completely different. With a painless LSX harness it's a bit easier, but again the process isn't the same. I'm unsure about the V6's in a fourth gen, but you may have to change motor mounts. On a third gen, you'll have to notch the K-member and change the motor mounts.
Spamfritter is online now   Reply With Quote