Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

My TA

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the tips on the repair. That would be cool, I want to be an active member on the forum and hope to start making it to some local or some what local events. Also on the project I was considering a paint color change, but I think I can keep a higher quality appearance with sticking to the original color. Any thoughts on that? still searching for a hatch before painting. They seem to be very few out there due to all the conversions from low rise to high rise
Old 11-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Launching!

I don't know if you have it in the States, but here there is a website that you can list every part in every yard in the country just about, and you'd fine this one no problem. car-part.com is what we have here... maybe it covers the US as well, don't know
I don't think anything looks better than a clean, black TA. But black will own you...lol Anyone that's owned black will know exactly what I'm saying here. Not a big fan of the red ones, so silver then black would be my most realistic choices for paint.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

I was thinking of going with black. All my trucks have been black. And yeah its a demanding color when coming to keeping it clean but its worth it with a good clear finish. The only thing is im not sure if they will paint the engine bay when I get it painted. I can do everything else but I don't have a building in which I can paint it myself
Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Paint shop will do whatever you want! Me, I would gut it, completely to wheels and a body. Tow to paint shop, complete colour change. With it gutted I bet you could get a dam good deal on paint... wink, wink...
Old 11-01-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

repaint it pewter like mine, I've not seen that on an early 4th gen, only 98+, it is surprisingly forgiving on dirt but is still a great looking color and would be interested to see that front end in it.

when I took this picture it hadn't been washed in nearly a week and it had rained almost the entire week and where talking gulf coast of florida rain, which carries a lot of salt and sand that gets all over the place.

Also where in SC are you, anywhere close to GA?
Old 11-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

That is a good looking color. Ill have to talk to the people at the paint shop. I am thinking about taking it to affordable auto in Greenville. I hear its much better than macco. I am in Anderson County. I can get to hartwell GA. in like 10-15 minutes depending
Old 11-01-2013, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by McCall 94 Formula
That is a good looking color. Ill have to talk to the people at the paint shop. I am thinking about taking it to affordable auto in Greenville. I hear its much better than macco. I am in Anderson County. I can get to hartwell GA. in like 10-15 minutes depending
OK, you're like 2.5-3 hours away from me (gilmer county, ga), if you check the atlanta craigslist there are several high rise hatches around atlanta that vary from like 125 to 300. also there is a guy out of newnan that parts out f-bodies, could probably just get a new bumper from him instead of the hassle of sanding and repairing that front bumper.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
OK, you're like 2.5-3 hours away from me (gilmer county, ga), if you check the atlanta craigslist there are several high rise hatches around atlanta that vary from like 125 to 300. also there is a guy out of newnan that parts out f-bodies, could probably just get a new bumper from him instead of the hassle of sanding and repairing that front bumper.
Oh okay, Ill have to look at them. Im kinda looking forward to working on the nose. I would like to see how good I can do and I am also trying to teach my brother in law a little when I work on the car. I think he likes it and help keep him out of trouble lol. But if I mess up Ill know where to look. we don't seem to have any good parts around this general area
Old 11-01-2013, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Very true. But I don't have the lump sum to get a really nice one right off. I kinda like the lt1 models myself, and hopefully the added time and money that Ill have to put into it will result in car that feels like mine and not just bought. Almost the custom tailored feel, if that makes sense
exactly, keep it up man! im subscribing....i love the looks of the LT1 cars.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

isnt hawks third gen down there in SC somewhere? hes always parting cars, 4th gens too.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZEEYAL8R
exactly, keep it up man! im subscribing....i love the looks of the LT1 cars.
Thanks for the support. Makes everything feel even more worth while. Should have some pics up tomorrow. And just order some new stuff about 30 mins. ago. Will post those as I get them along with a list of what all I have done so far to see what you all think of the transformation so far
Old 11-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

isnt hawks third gen down there in SC somewhere? hes always parting cars, 4th gens too.
I believe you are correct. I just looked at the site. don't know how I have been over looking it but thanks for bringing that to my attention. looks like he does have a ws6 hatch for 250, looks like ill have to hurry a save some cash
Old 11-02-2013, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

no problem. he has a lot of nice stuff on that site....i could max a credit card out there if i knew my wife wouldnt kill me....haha, enjoy.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the support. Makes everything feel even more worth while. Should have some pics up tomorrow. And just order some new stuff about 30 mins. ago. Will post those as I get them along with a list of what all I have done so far to see what you all think of the transformation so far
sounds good! the way i see it, up here in NY a 96 with 162k would be rusted out and destroyed, down there in SC, your car is probably pretty rust free, if not totally rust free.....i see no need to destroy a solid body, or throw it away for a newer one, especially if you enjoy doing the work yourself as i do. as long as the the body is solid there is nothing on these cars that cant be rebuilt or replaced.....and doing it all yourself is rewarding, also forms a good bond with the car. yes im a bit crazy, my cars are alive and have feelings.... lol
Old 11-02-2013, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

sounds good! the way i see it, up here in NY a 96 with 162k would be rusted out and destroyed, down there in SC, your car is probably pretty rust free, if not totally rust free.....i see no need to destroy a solid body, or throw it away for a newer one, especially if you enjoy doing the work yourself as i do. as long as the the body is solid there is nothing on these cars that cant be rebuilt or replaced.....and doing it all yourself is rewarding, also forms a good bond with the car. yes im a bit crazy, my cars are alive and have feelings.... lol
It is pretty rust free. I noticed some around the headlight mounts and hinges taking the front off earlier but nothing a wire brush and some paint wont fix. My wife has been good with the restoring. I showed her 2 vents and a sickspeed **** and she was fine with me getting it. said I deserve some stuff every now and then lol. which none of those things are expensive but like the vents, I feel solid trim and interior pieces in a car are what make or break it
Old 11-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

During break down and before repairs. Enjoy
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-05-2013, 02:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Never thought I'd say this. But, paint her Bright Green Metallic.

Not too often you see a green Firebird.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

I will have to look at the BMG. I do want something that you don't see much and looks great but it all comes down to the $$$. I don't want a color change that doesn't look complete. no missed door jam areas and engine bay. I cant see myself going as far as removing all the carpet and things of that nature. So if the best thing for the car as looks go on my budget is to keep the red I guess ill have to. I would rather keep a color I'm not crazy about and have the car look great than to change it to what I want and the over all looks suffer from it
Old 11-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Well here is some of the work so far. Most of the brackets that will never be seen I just put in without taking photos. I got a lot of the major junk paint of the nose, the factory paint is on a little better.... AND I got the old body filler out of the passenger quarter panel. I know some of you have been waiting for that. On a less successful note. took the passenger headlight motor apart twice to fix the grinding nose with no success. Probably will get 2 rebuild kits. Also as I'm uploading the pictures my service award is delivered, a set of Michelin Defender tires, 235/60/R16

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

well the last 2 pictures should have been different angles of the dent but apparently I messed up

Quick Reply: My TA