Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

LT1 Oil Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Oil Issues

Hey guys, I had a rough night last night. I was driving with a friend of mine in the country and all gauges were normal. The oil pressure was (but has always been) on the low end of the stick at "normal" run temperatures. ANyway, we were driving down the road and all of a sudden it just sorta maintained a constant speed of 30 no matter where I put the throttle. ANd then the gauge just shot straight to zero. I pulled it over, checked the stick. It still had oil on it, but I added a few quarts just to be safe. Well, It would turn over but not start. I'm wondering if there's a pump or something that had gone bad? Perhaps a filter? I just put had new head gaskets get put in about a month ago, so I would find it HIGHLY unusual that the oil was just gone within a month. Any ideas?
Old 10-31-2013, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking from personal experience, I believe your "Oil Pump Drive" broke. This is a dealer only part.

There are two locations where the oil pump drive typically fails; either under the intake manifold (at the plastic mount), or at the drive gear (that meshes with the camshaft) at the other end.

Both have happened to me.

While you are in your engine - you might as well replace your oil pump as well.

I know I'll get attacked by all the "online experts" when I say this, but I now use a Melling High Volume SBC oil pump.

However, don't listen to me - or anyone else here for that matter. I suggest you talk to the people at Melling; they are the real experts - go with their suggestions.

Also, if your oil pump drive gear is destroyed, remember to remove then clean all the metal shavings from your oil pan and camshaft!

Good Luck!
Old 10-31-2013, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I'm guessing that this is in the deep reccesses of the engine and that I'll have to pay a crap ton for a repair. Would you say this is a common issue then or am I one in a million? also, to avoid in the future, what causes this to fail?
Old 11-02-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995TransAMLT1
Now I'm guessing that this is in the deep recesses of the engine and that I'll have to pay a ton of $$$ for a repair.
You might get lucky.

If the oil pump drive's upper plastic mount (which is located under in the intake manifold - in the rear, on the pass side) is broken, then simply remove the bolt and the drive. Then, use a mirror and a light to see the orientation of the slot on the oil pump driveshaft. Once this orientation is known, rotate the drive gear on the new oil pump drive so the pin in the bottom of the gear aligns with the driveshaft when you carefully re-install the drive.

If you get it right, the top of the oil pump drive will sit flush at the engine block, and you'll be home free (except for the rest of the reassembly).

If the bottom gear is damaged (and you'll know once you visually inspect it), then the cam and the pan has to come out / off to remove any and all metal shavings.

Start this process by pulling the intake manifold.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: LT1 Oil Issues