Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

help bird bottoms out

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help bird bottoms out

I have been reading the different posts on here and i am so lost and confused. i KNOW NOTHING about cars. why back when i did a little cause of brothers. my car bottoms out when hubby gets in passenger side or anything a little heavy (he knows less about cars but he thinks he does know).. can someone please dumb down the explanation of the shock i need so it won't do that please.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

First I would look and make sure all Springs and struts are the same. And if your just looking to replace the struts I know my brother used Monroe a lot. They are not really expensive like SLP or other brands. Not sure about how the front struts are removed, I know you have to remove the back unbolt from the top behind the rear seats under the carpet. They have a foam insert over them. As long as no one has previously removed them. I would also check the bump stops, If the car bottoms out that often them probably need to be replaced
Old 11-06-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

??????????? can you please retype that into a coherent sentence.

It is very common place for the stock springs and even some aftermarket springs to sag with age which can increase the odds of bottoming out, is it the front or back that is doing it? please be more clear and check your posts for auto-correct mistakes.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

I had similar problems with my high mileage t/a (212k+ miles), when I would put a passenger or two in the car, especially larger individuals, the car would bottom out in the rear. So I had some fresh springs installed in the rear and it solved the problem. They were nothing special, I'm not even sure of the brand, but what a difference they have made for everyday driving! And it only cost me $70 for the parts!

So bottom line is it might not be that you have to replace everything. First have the suspension looked at by someone who knows what they are doing. If the shocks/struts aren't blown out, chances are you're dealing with worn/sagging springs, which isn't terribly costly if your not looking to lower the car or put performance pieces on it.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by McCall 94 Formula
First I would look and make sure all Springs and struts are the same. And if your just looking to replace the struts I know my brother used Monroe a lot. They are not really expensive like SLP or other brands. Not sure about how the front struts are removed, I know you have to remove the back unbolt from the top behind the rear seats under the carpet. They have a foam insert over them. As long as no one has previously removed them. I would also check the bump stops, If the car bottoms out that often them probably need to be replaced
^And I also agree with this point! I would have whoever looks at it check to see if the suspension parts are matching, mismatched parts may mean that bare minimum maintenance was done in the past which may indicate that the older parts are due to be changed.

When I was having problems, I thought I was going to have to replace everything, but was pleasantly surprised when my friend called me. He recommended new rear springs, but it turned out I had a pretty expensive set of KYB adjustable shocks/struts on the car. He changed the settings for a stiffer ride and put the new rear springs in...so you never will really know the story until someone goes under the car and checks it out for you.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lanca
I have been reading the different posts on here and i am so lost and confused. i KNOW NOTHING about cars. why back when i did a little cause of brothers. my car bottoms out when hubby gets in passenger side or anything a little heavy (he knows less about cars but he thinks he does know).. can someone please dumb down the explanation of the shock i need so it won't do that please.
Post pictures of your car so we can tell if it has been lowered or not.
Poke your head under the rear of the car and snap some pics of the rear springs/shocks as well.

Quick Reply: help bird bottoms out