Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Adjusting front bumper and headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Adjusting front bumper and headlights

So I just got done with my cam/head build and finished up with the doing a front end suspension rebuild... I had the front bumper off for a while and now getting everything back together with the body. For the life of me, I can't get the gap between the fender and the bumper close to make them flush, even changed out the top bumper bolt and tightened it down good. Also the drivers side headlight cover has a small gap between the bumper and the metal headlight cover. Any suggestions on how to tighten up the bumper and get the headlight flush with the bumper again?

Pic is how it looked before - Circled where the small gaps are. Seems like the bumper is just sagging a little now..
Attached Thumbnails Adjusting front bumper and headlights-2-6-2014-10-13-19-am.jpg  
Old 02-06-2014, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to know this
Old 02-16-2014, 02:07 AM
Teching In

The bumper brackets (the ones running under the curve of the top part of the bumper near where it mates with the fender) can cause this if they're loose. Also if the foam barrier is removed the bumper will sag a bit.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Where it attaches in the center with the push pins. Remove pins you can move it where it need to be and add a sheet metal screw to hold the placement. Hole can be enlarged so pin can be reinstalled. Bumper sag's and the push pins wear and don't hold tight as the once did. Kind of like me as I get older....lol
Old 02-19-2014, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

The foam barrier was removed a few years back, so that does seem to cause a little sag. I figured that removing foam would be the cause of it..

I like them ahh natural. Swing low sweet chariot.

Delfygo mentioned ^ to move the 3 push pins up. I was thinking about moving the three holes up and getting the push pins to hold it up higher by drilling new holes about an inch or two up. I tested this out by removing the pins and pushing up on the bumper to see where it will sit with new holes. I've been thinking about doing this for a few weeks now.. I think I will try this and get back with my results.

Last edited by 1ta ls1; 02-19-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Adjusted the small amount of sagging on my front bumper... IF anyone else attempts this, without being said, AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1) I removed the 3 front bumper push pin holes and measured them at 5/8.
2) I pushed up on the front bumper until everything was flush on the sides and looked like there was no more sag.
3) I mark above the existing holes where the bumper and the fiberglass bumper support hold together with the three push pins and marked where to drill.
4) Drilled 3 new holes about 1/2-3/4 of an inch above the existing holes.
5) Bought three 5/8 bolts, nuts, and Wide Washers and mounted the bumper into the new holes - I also tried the push-pins but felt the bolts were much stronger and more secure.

This worked for me and helped with sagging bumper and no more gaps! I have removed my foam bumper support and over the years the bumper started to sag just a little on the sides. The new holes and new bolts are pretty strong and now the front bumper doesn't have any play in it.

Last edited by 1ta ls1; 02-24-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Adjusting front bumper and headlights