Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

need some advice about buying a ws6

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice about buying a ws6

first off im looking at a few ls1 ws6 trans ams both cars are automatic cars. iv never had a auto trans am before and i was curious if there were any problems associated with them i had a 1999 trans am with a 6 speed before and i got 26-28 mpgs on the highway with it i loved it. i was not sure if the automatic trans am ws6 cars got around the same?

and another thing one of the cars im looking at the guy says the tires make a sound like a 4x4 truck tire makes he says he had the car on a lift and messed around and did not hear anything in the rear end.

does any one have any imput on this? i know its probably more personal preference should i just keep looking for a 6 speed or are the automatic cars just as good thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

I think the manuals were rated at a few more mpg than the autos, but buy whatever you will enjoy driving more. I do know it's cheaper to replace a clutch than rebuild a transmission.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From my experience, the reason the car would sound like it's an 4x4, is the type of tire. I had this happen on one of my cars. It was so lound and would humm when going down the road. I replaced the tires with a known brand and the noise was gone. My vote, cheap or worn tires.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by robbiejaegle
first off im looking at a few ls1 ws6 trans ams both cars are automatic cars. iv never had a auto trans am before and i was curious if there were any problems associated with them i had a 1999 trans am with a 6 speed before and i got 26-28 mpgs on the highway with it i loved it. i was not sure if the automatic trans am ws6 cars got around the same?

and another thing one of the cars im looking at the guy says the tires make a sound like a 4x4 truck tire makes he says he had the car on a lift and messed around and did not hear anything in the rear end.

does any one have any imput on this? i know its probably more personal preference should i just keep looking for a 6 speed or are the automatic cars just as good thanks
I have had both. I currently have a 98 TA WS6 AUTO. My First was a 96 M6 WS6, I hands down loved the M6 (6 SPEED). On the other hand the current 98 auto I have , I have played around with the tuner for the torque management, and the shift points and firmness, really helped wake the car up a little. Anyways, I truly loved my 6 speed, but I still enjoy the auto as well. I guess it really comes down to preference. I used to got through trannies every year in my 86 Monte Carlo SS and its get expensive replacing. The MPG so far is a little less than your im getting with AC running and normal driving around 210 miles to a tank, my 96 I got 260 sometimes.

As Far as the road noise, it is because of crap tires/ worn or out of alignment
, once tire get " chopping " they tend to make a lot of road noise.

Good Luck on your hunt.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Tipnitty
From my experience, the reason the car would sound like it's an 4x4, is the type of tire. I had this happen on one of my cars. It was so lound and would humm when going down the road. I replaced the tires with a known brand and the noise was gone. My vote, cheap or worn tires.
Agree. It's all tire. Get cheap, get noise (especially once the tread hits the 50% mark). Get quality and you'll be fine. No tramlining either. I'm talking Goodyear, BFG G-Force, Michelins. All excellent. Owned all 3 several times over. You get what you pay for when it comes to tires.
As far as automatic transmissions, there will be a drop-off in mpg. Many claim upper 20's (28-29 mpg) in 6th gear highway driving. The best I have ever done in my A4 is 25 mpg. I just did 24 mpg on a 2,200 miles trip to the Keys and back a few weeks ago. I sure wouldn't buy one tranny over the other for fuel economy, just get what you prefer.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Teching In

alright thanks every one your advice helped alot
Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an M6 and I can get high 20's on the highway. You can get decent mileage around town, I just choose to keep it in low gear because I like the sounds of my exhaust.

Quick Reply: need some advice about buying a ws6