Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

air box lid

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air box lid

Do the SLP air box lids fit the stock air box or do you have to get the box too?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

They are a direct fit to the stock air box.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by z-camaro
They are a direct fit to the stock air box.
See here on this site its says ls1. It will work with the v6 though right?

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...r-Lid-Box.html
Old 03-14-2014, 04:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kyle1087
See here on this site its says ls1. It will work with the v6 though right?

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...r-Lid-Box.html
kinda/sorta, but looks wrong, I would not suggest trying to use an LS1 lid on a V6 car, you need a V6 specific lid, the V6 intake is offset to the drivers side of the intake like this

but if you must here is the "ghetto" way of making an LS1 lid work

it's NOT a lid to box issue, it's a lid to intake manifold issue.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

My bad, I didn't realize we were talking about a V6. The above is correct, but to further confuse things there are two different throttle body orientations on the 3.8 F-body. One is offset from the center of the lid and angled down (likely how the 97 in your sig is), and the newer ones are just offset (like the 02 in your sig). As far as I know, whisper is the only company that made a lid for the V6, however they have not been made for quite a while. You could check out fullthrottleV6.com and try to find a used one. If not the LS1 lid can be used with some dryer vent hose like in the above video. You can also shave off the vanes inside of the stock lid, replace the silencers with a PVC pipe, and do the "free ram air" mod for some gains (this is what I did with my old V6 and it is the cheapest option).
Old 03-14-2014, 10:22 PM

Ok. Can someone give me a diameter of hose that fits good. I think I'm going to go with the slp and get some good flexible rubber hose and not cheap dryer hose.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:16 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok. Can someone give me a diameter of hose that fits good. I think I'm going to go with the slp and get some good flexible rubber hose and not cheap dryer hose.
Take the factory air lid off along with the factory elbow and measure the OD of the throttle body. That will give you the measurement needed for the ID of the hose you purchase.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:51 PM

Default final product

I ended up just going with what I had and replaced the baffle with 3" PVC coupler which is 4" od so it stretched around it well. Here are some pictures of it.
Attached Thumbnails air box lid-20140320_171415.jpg   air box lid-20140320_171430.jpg  
Old 03-29-2014, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

I ended up just going with what I had and replaced the baffle with 3" PVC coupler which is 4" od so it stretched around it well. Here are some pictures of it.
I did pretty much the same thing but I got an 22.5* angled one, I felt it was a better fit. once the fit was confirmed I spray painted it black so it would blend in better.
Attached Thumbnails air box lid-2012-09-09_19-09-14_897.jpg   air box lid-2012-09-09_19-09-25_757.jpg  
Old 03-31-2014, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Default Looks pretty good.

Looks pretty good. Appears that it seals well. You might be surprised how little of an opening anywhere, at least in a Ram air system, can allow crap in your motor. I have found bug parts on the screen on my MAF when it appears there was no gap for anything to get in. It is also a reason why I am not a fan of removing the screen on MAF's as they are the last line of defense of stuff going in to your motor.

Just curious if you plan to keep your car stock or modify it?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by TomXTC
Looks pretty good. Appears that it seals well. You might be surprised how little of an opening anywhere, at least in a Ram air system, can allow crap in your motor. I have found bug parts on the screen on my MAF when it appears there was no gap for anything to get in. It is also a reason why I am not a fan of removing the screen on MAF's as they are the last line of defense of stuff going in to your motor.

Just curious if you plan to keep your car stock or modify it?
Yeah I had grass on mine. the last guy that had it took out the inside plastic piece that makes the filter fit tight so it was real loose and there was a layer of dust on the whole inside of the intake but I got the piece and fixed that. not sure if I will or not. this car has had a front end rebuild and im finding problems here and there so Im planning on finding one that hasn't been wrecked and selling this one in the future. Havent had it but a couple months. maybe I can find me a ws6
Old 03-31-2014, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Default WS6 is a great idea.

Good thing you caught the stuff when you did. I am glad that I found mine too.
When talking about the lids that is one consideration for me. Fit and that of the filter and attachment to the throttle body.

I think getting a WS6 would be a great idea. Or depending upon your desires and budget at least a LS1 T/A or Formula.

My current WS6 is the best bird I have owned, bought it with 33K miles and it now has 57K. It was in mint condition when I bought it 4 years ago with new GSD3 tires and I paid 10 grand for it.

That said I think the best deal I ever got on one was a 1987 Formula WS6. I traded something I got for $40 for that car which was in very good condition.

I just always wonder about people that don't get V-8 cars when they are an option. It is just my mindset has to be different than a lot of people. I understand getting a turbo V-6 like my friends Grand National.
Anyway I hope you end up with a V-8 car and really like it.
Best of luck whatever you decide!

Quick Reply: air box lid