Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Removed Monsoon amp, cut wiring harness, now gauges and trunk release doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 04:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Removed Monsoon amp, cut wiring harness, now gauges and trunk release doesnt work

So I've been gutting my 99 WS6 and getting rid of everything I dont need. I removed the factory amp because I removed the radio and speakers months ago. I also dont have any carpet and didnt want that huge roll of wires running to the trunk so I cut it under the dash around the passenger floor mat.

I go to start it up and the first thing I notice is the factory dash gauges dont work except for the voltage gauge. Also the trunk release button doesnt work. I hear clicking when I press it but thats it. There may be more stuff that is now inoperative but I wouldnt know because so much has been removed. I just want the gauges and trunk release to work.

Why would this stuff happen from cutting all the wires that go to the amp.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Or if someone could just give me a wiring diagram of the amp i could figure this out. I've looked everywhere
Old 03-29-2014, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Scratch that. Just found part of one. Looks like all the wires just go to speakers except for two grounds and two fused battery supply. Maybe when i cut the wires it arched on the wire cutters and popped a fuse
Old 03-29-2014, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Found it. Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to leave this here instead of deleting it to hopefully help someone out.

The factory amp, cluster gauges, trunk release, and probably some other things go to the power accessory fuse. You would think the amp goes to the radio or radio accessory fuse but it doesn't. Hope this helps someone

Quick Reply: Removed Monsoon amp, cut wiring harness, now gauges and trunk release doesnt work