Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Antenna motor re-assembly problems

Old 06-02-2014, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Antenna motor re-assembly problems

So as the title says, I am having a problem with my antenna. I took the power antenna apart, cleaned it out, re greased and put it all back together, BUT when I use it the thing only goes up/down about 4 inches. I tried taking it apart again but don't know what to do in order to solve this dilemma. Anything I am missing guys? something Im doing wrong?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Bump. Somebody has to know something about these antennas, It is still in great condition, id rather not replace a perfectly good part.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The antenna is not really intended to be serviceable, but some have done it.

Why would you do this in the first place? Is the problem that the antenna is getting stuck? If so, its an issue with the mast and not the mechanism. The paint flakes off over time and as the antenna corrodes and gums it up.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
The antenna is not really intended to be serviceable, but some have done it.

Why would you do this in the first place? Is the problem that the antenna is getting stuck? If so, its an issue with the mast and not the mechanism. The paint flakes off over time and as the antenna corrodes and gums it up.
I did it because the mast was getting stuck and the rob around it was broken, but there was also a lot of water inside the assembly so i decided to take it apart.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Ah - There should be a drain tube coming off of the antenna, so hopefully you got that unplugged.

The solution for the mast (GM lists this in their maintenance procedures) is a rag soaked in mineral spirits. You wipe down the mast with that and actuate the motor several times until all the gunk is cleaned out. This doesn't always work and once the mast starts shedding paint, you will have to do this cleaning more frequently.

In the past, I found that once I started the cleanings, I had to replace the antenna mast in 2-3 years. (It just got to be a PITA to clean and the cleanings became less effective.)

The mast should still be available as a stand-alone part and can be installed without taking the motor back apart.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Ah - There should be a drain tube coming off of the antenna, so hopefully you got that unplugged.

The solution for the mast (GM lists this in their maintenance procedures) is a rag soaked in mineral spirits. You wipe down the mast with that and actuate the motor several times until all the gunk is cleaned out. This doesn't always work and once the mast starts shedding paint, you will have to do this cleaning more frequently.

In the past, I found that once I started the cleanings, I had to replace the antenna mast in 2-3 years. (It just got to be a PITA to clean and the cleanings became less effective.)

The mast should still be available as a stand-alone part and can be installed without taking the motor back apart.
Thanks for the info, ill have to try this if I can get it back together. Problem is now, I assemble it but it doesn't go up all the way or down, it isn't getting stuck either. I was reading somewhere that the gear you can't remove has something to do with that...I guess I need to keep messing with it. The motor brushes are a PITA if you accidently pull it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Antenna motor re-assembly problems