Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Question on 4th Gen OEM Keys

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 09:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
They have plastic covers that match the moulded rubber. You can even get square covers for the older (pre-VATS) ignition keys
I actually have a set of those exact covers for one of my older cars, I think I bought it from Year One many years ago. But that's not what's on my original door key...it doesn't have that big open slit in the bottom to slip it in place. It's a molded fit (there is no way to remove it without cutting it), all the way to the stem of the key (identical to how the one on the factory square ignition key is fitted).

I wonder if the dealers could order these from GM with the car? None of my cars were special ordered, all were original dealer inventory vehicles. Wonder if this was just something dealers could request for cars ordered for normal inventory?
Old 10-29-2022, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

FWIW, my '98's keys have the ignition key w/ a molded cover and the door key is bare. Both sets I received w/ the car new are that way. Not sure if I ever actually used the door / trunk key since I use the remote fob all the time.
Old 10-29-2022, 11:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
It's a molded fit (there is no way to remove it without cutting it), all the way to the stem of the key (identical to how the one on the factory square ignition key is fitted).

I wonder if the dealers could order these from GM with the car?
Indeed. I just found an example of a moulded door key blank for sale:

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
None of my cars were special ordered, all were original dealer inventory vehicles. Wonder if this was just something dealers could request for cars ordered for normal inventory?
My car came with a dealer-prepped set of keys and then a set of unprepared keys. The original keys from the factory should have arrived with knockouts in them like this, including the key code:

If you didn't get a key like this, the dealer must have prepared yours for you. Your dealer probably cared about you more than mine did...
Old 10-29-2022, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
My car came with a dealer-prepped set of keys and then a set of unprepared keys. The original keys from the factory should have arrived with knockouts in them like this, including the key code:

If you didn't get a key like this, the dealer must have prepared yours for you. Your dealer probably cared about you more than mine did...
I actually did get the coded knockouts with all of mine, but they were attached separately to the ring of keys (I even got them for the two I bought used also, and someone had also attached them to the rings), so I guess the dealer did this and then made another pair of door keys from those molded blanks you pictured above? Odd that this was common enough in my area for all four of mine to have come this way (since they all came from different dealers within a ~30 mile radius).

I wish they had also given me the entire unpunched coded factory ones, rather than just the knockouts by themselves.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:16 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

My guess is that is what the dealer did. If they punched your copies, then they would be good-as what came with the locks at the factory as the original keys would have come off a punching machine. (Probably just not a hand-held one, like the dealers would have.)

Quick Reply: Question on 4th Gen OEM Keys