Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

ram air question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 07:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was not much of a believer in the Ram Air. I thought it was more or less a gimmick. But after running out of mod ideas I decided to remove the baffles and seal the air box. In similar weather 1 week apart, before Ram Air mod ave. 1/4 trap was 124.14. After Ram Air mod 125.55 a 1.41 mph gain. I am now a believer.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 the vortech uses the factory box
2 the ram air of a ws6 does work, but not by too much, think of it as more of a cold air setup.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The vortech kit I was looking at was

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...9-00fbody.html

from what I can gather it dosn't use the factory box, but I could be wrong. If they do use the factory box this could explain why they list greater gains with Ram-Air. 22hp and 13ft/lb difference.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

ive seen one installed and it finally connects to the air box. One reason the ram air cars make more power with the vortech is it gets colder air, and a more direct flow.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Heres a link to MTI where they have a pic of a vortech kit hooked to the factory air box.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 09-06-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by *JC*
Amazing?

People will believe almost anything these days... No the Ram Air thing doesn't do a thing except sell cars and look good.
Yes Ram Air DOES have an effect and these effects have been well documented thousands of times for over 70 years. There is not even any room for debate here, it's kind of like gravity or the the world is round "theorys" that way. Granted the stock system on WS6's needs a little help to actually take advantage of this principal, but japanese motorcycle manufacturers have been using some form of ram air on their bikes for about 20 years now. It doesn't do anyone any good for you to spead mis-information like this.

The trouble is is that you won't see any great benefit from Ram Air until well above 100 mph. By the formula above it shows almost 1/5 of a psi of intake pressure at 100 mph. At about 130 mph or so it'll really starts to help. It will do nothing or next to nothing for 1/4 mile times because of the speeds required, unless your trap speeds are very high. I credit at least some of my 172+ mph ORR speeds to the BGRA mod on my car. On a dyno I'm only putting down about 340 rwhp, I'm pretty sure it's more than that at high speeds.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got an '00 GAGT, and yes it is unfortunate with the hoods that are out there. I don't really mind people owning the OEM optional hoods that were available in '03, but the TA clones look pretty disgusting. AND, like you mentioned, our ram air is apart of the front bumper anyways. And our ram air isn't true ram air anyways- moreso than the TA. The air goes in, gets deflected by a piece of frame, and then into slits which make two 90 degree bends before hitting the wide airbox, which would kill any pressure that made it that far anyways. With such a fubar'd setup...the CAI does WONDERS for getting our cars to breathe, as well as exhaust.

Anyways...sorry if this is kinda derailing.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:28 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Racehead
The trouble is is that you won't see any great benefit from Ram Air until well above 100 mph. By the formula above it shows almost 1/5 of a psi of intake pressure at 100 mph. At about 130 mph or so it'll really starts to help. It will do nothing or next to nothing for 1/4 mile times because of the speeds required, unless your trap speeds are very high. I credit at least some of my 172+ mph ORR speeds to the BGRA mod on my car. On a dyno I'm only putting down about 340 rwhp, I'm pretty sure it's more than that at high speeds.
When you look at most cars intake routs, even as recently as 3rd Gens, it has multiple 90 degree turns to go through. The engine has to pull pretty hard vacuum to suck air through all that piping and bends and filter, and it's still getting engine compartment air anyway.

The system on the T/A, hood or no (I still swear that the most effect is from the lower openings and that even the flat hood would get the effect, especially with the baffles on the hood, but I digress....) is a very short run that is almost perfectly straight. Just a very slight angle after the filter and right down the TB. That has to be benificial over the old systems mentioned above at any speed.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

I have read it works from 60 - 80 mph
Old 09-12-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by *JC*
No the Ram Air thing doesn't do a thing except sell cars and look good.
Well I think it does help airflow, but, as evidenced by the hundreds of "Ram Air" hood scoops I see bolted on everything from civics to full size trucks... people really believe that all it takes is a scoop to be fast.

Quick Reply: ram air question