Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 Trans Am WS6 - Build/Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default 2000 Trans Am WS6 - Build/Progress Thread

I had a thread with a few questions about the car, but I figured I'd make a new one on all the information about the car and my progress as I continue.

So here it is:

2000 Trans Am WS6. Currently has just over 8200 miles and still smells like new on the inside. It came with the stock Hurst Short throw and has a 6" stick on it. It has custom Trans Am fuel rail covers and a color matched lid and is otherwise stock.

The car has the original tires and wiper blades and has been literally untouched it's whole life. I am the 4th owner and plan to keep it how it is and maintain the cleanliness of the vehicle. It also came with the original window sticker and build sheet, that I will be making copies of and framing for shows.

The only plans I have are a Wheelskins steering wheel cover, shift ****, floor mats (all to preserve the original pieces) and possibly Corsa Clone exhaust tips.

Enough of my talking, here's the car (those are bugs on the front bumper not rock chips ):

Cell phone pics

My current daily that will be helping to keep the miles off the bird

I apologize for the low quality uploads, I'll upload to flickr and re-upload when I get home from work.

Until then, enjoy
Old 07-15-2014, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 Owners and 8200 miles? Uhhhhh
Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by idle
4 Owners and 8200 miles? Uhhhhh
I'm the fourth owner. Last owner is a good friend of mine and only put about 1500 miles on it, 500 of those being the drive home when he got it. He had it for 5 years.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by red04montels
I'm the fourth owner. Last owner is a good friend of mine and only put about 1500 miles on it, 500 of those being the drive home when he got it. He had it for 5 years.
So are you going to build it up at all or go for the stock appearance/performance?
Old 07-15-2014, 12:19 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

So are you going to build it up at all or go for the stock appearance/performance?
I am probably going to keep it stock for now. I mentioned a couple of things such as a wheelskins and floor mats really just to preserve the cars current state.

I want to drive it like it was meant to be driven and keep it clean so that others can enjoy it as well.

It's plenty quick and plenty fun, so mods aren't high on my list right now.

Also, oil changes were recorded throughout the cars whole life so it looks as if it has been treated really well and that helps to confirm the mileage. Although I know that can be faked easily, the condition of this car in person is fairly impressive.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Wow. Talk about low miles! Seems like I cant find any local with under 50,000mi. Are there alot more lower mileage cars towards your end of the state?
Old 07-15-2014, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice pick up. I couldn't own a car like that because I would feel guilty putting miles on it.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Tipnitty
Nice pick up. I couldn't own a car like that because I would feel guilty putting miles on it.
I'd feel guilty not driving it lol it was built to be driven

Thanks though guys! There's a couple up here but all that are asking about $10k more than what I put down.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks though guys! There's a couple up here but all that are asking about $10k more than what I put down.
Just yesterday I realized that my engine bay, with 45k miles, is adorned with multiple nicks and scratches from wrenches. And I sat back and realized that I'm not that mad about it. I bought the car bone stock with 34k miles and everything to it was done by me; both good and bad, and they were all learning experiences since this is my first car I've modified and I've done it all myself.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, for me, a car with that few of miles needs to be saved. All the other need to be driven, don't get me wrong. But its your car my friend, as long as you enjoy!
Old 07-16-2014, 07:23 AM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Just yesterday I realized that my engine bay, with 45k miles, is adorned with multiple nicks and scratches from wrenches. And I sat back and realized that I'm not that mad about it. I bought the car bone stock with 34k miles and everything to it was done by me; both good and bad, and they were all learning experiences since this is my first car I've modified and I've done it all myself.
Haha nice! That's the way to do it!

Originally Posted by Tipnitty
Well, for me, a car with that few of miles needs to be saved. All the other need to be driven, don't get me wrong. But its your car my friend, as long as you enjoy!
I agree with you there! I bought the car to drive it, but don't get me wrong, I full plan on preserving it's current condition. It will take me YEARS before I get anywhere near even 20k miles.

As a side note, I would like to prevent the door panels from cracking but don't really want to take them off. Does anyone know if putting a dab of epoxy on the starting point of the crack (there's already tiny cracks) will help to prevent the cracking?

I already always keep the windows all the way up and keep mine and other's arms off the door panels as much as possible. It also stays out of the sun for extended periods of time.

Another question I have is whether or not there is a difference between 98-00 and 01-02 master cylinders?
Old 07-16-2014, 07:30 AM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

You can see in this pic as well that the passenger side of the hood was a bit low, got that fixed yesterday, nothing major, the bumper under the hood was just a bit low, so now she looks proper (not in this pic)

Last edited by red04montels; 07-16-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

As a side note, I would like to prevent the door panels from cracking but don't really want to take them off. Does anyone know if putting a dab of epoxy on the starting point of the crack (there's already tiny cracks) will help to prevent the cracking?

I already always keep the windows all the way up and keep mine and other's arms off the door panels as much as possible. It also stays out of the sun for extended periods of time.
I took my panels off, removed the trouble-causing stables, then sanded down the area around the crack, laid down plastic mesh, then JB-Welded the area, and re-stapled. They stopped cracking but they were already cracked; my car is mainly parked in a garage now but I'm not sure the original owner did the same.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Great looking WS6! That is definitely one to keep relatively stock, even if you just weekend cruise it and keep it for years the mileage should stay pretty low and make it a decent investment.

Honestly, it's stupid easy to take the door panels off and put them back on. I can have a door panel off in less than five minutes, haha! Just take them off and fix it correctly before the cracks even start. You'll be so much more happy that you went the extra mile to do it correctly, and with your car in the shape that it is in I would make the effort!
Old 07-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

I took my panels off, removed the trouble-causing stables, then sanded down the area around the crack, laid down plastic mesh, then JB-Welded the area, and re-stapled. They stopped cracking but they were already cracked; my car is mainly parked in a garage now but I'm not sure the original owner did the same.
That's what I was planning on doing. What did you do to restaple? I'm honestly afraid to pull them off and crack them in the process lol

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Great looking WS6! That is definitely one to keep relatively stock, even if you just weekend cruise it and keep it for years the mileage should stay pretty low and make it a decent investment.

Honestly, it's stupid easy to take the door panels off and put them back on. I can have a door panel off in less than five minutes, haha! Just take them off and fix it correctly before the cracks even start. You'll be so much more happy that you went the extra mile to do it correctly, and with your car in the shape that it is in I would make the effort!
Thank you! I agree, I will keep it about 95% stock. I want to get the Corsa Clones like I said, but I think I will have them bolted on so I don't have to have it be permanent. Then I will have the shop put the other tips on so they can be clamped as well. Then I can just swap out and nothing will be permanent.

I'm the same way in my Monte Carlo, just pull them out and be done with it. Like I said above though, I really worry about cracking them when I pull them off.

Is it pretty much just remove the staples and be done with it? Or do you have to put something else in, in place of the staples? I've seen the threads, just a little curious yet.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

As a side note, I'm going to take her to her first cruise in tonight if nothing comes up. Going to get home, clean her up and head out. Should be a fun time.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

That staples and seal is what causes the cracking. You need to fix them or it will crack down to the door inserts.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

That staples and seal is what causes the cracking. You need to fix them or it will crack down to the door inserts.
Do you know where I can find a good removal thread?

I see the fix thread and it looks straight forward. I just want to see how to pull the panel before I do it.

I assume you just pull the staples closest to the crack spot and replace them with something smaller (to hold the trim down and allow some movement) followed by a little epoxy on the back?
Old 07-16-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you know where I can find a good removal thread?

I see the fix thread and it looks straight forward. I just want to see how to pull the panel before I do it.

I assume you just pull the staples closest to the crack spot and replace them with something smaller (to hold the trim down and allow some movement) followed by a little epoxy on the back?
I'm pretty sure I followed a HOW-TO on replacing the window motors (thread possibly or LS1howto.com).

Otherwise, you just need to remove all screws in the panel, then take the panel up (it hooks near the window) and then slide it forward, pulling it through the door handle. Then disconnect speaker cables and the little light bulb on the door handle.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm pretty sure I followed a HOW-TO on replacing the window motors (thread possibly or LS1howto.com).

Otherwise, you just need to remove all screws in the panel, then take the panel up (it hooks near the window) and then slide it forward, pulling it through the door handle. Then disconnect speaker cables and the little light bulb on the door handle.
I'll look into it, probably going to try it out when I do the master cylinder.

Any ideas as to what to use instead of staples this time around? I've seen anything from zip ties to wire.

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am WS6 - Build/Progress Thread