Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Power seat conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power seat conversion

Hey guys I have been running into dead ends so I'm hoping someone can help. I have a '01 Trans Am, base model. It has power windows and power locks. Power seats were not installed in the car when I bought it however on the driver side there is a white connector wired into the floor so I figured this was where the power seat cable would plug in. Recently I picked up some power leather seats and after looking at the seat track wiring harness I discovered that my car had no outlets to plug them into. I assumed that I was missing a wiring cable that would plug into that single white outlet my car has, the go to the seat wiring connectors. So far no one seems to know of this alleged missing cable and all shops I've been to act like its not possible to wire the seats into my car. Somebody please tell me this is not the case!
Old 07-17-2014, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 96 GM service manual (8A-140) says there is a 2-pin connector that provides both power and ground for the driver's side power seat - the two wires are ORN (Hot at ALL times) and BLK (GND).

For dual power seats (8A-141), that same two pin connector connects to a jumper harness that powers the pass side seat too; so yes, there is a jumper harness (using 6 pin connectors at each end) to provide B+ and Gnd from the driver's side wiring to the pass side seat.

This jumper harness has 4 wires that connect the two seats, but the layout is simple:

Pin A on the Driver's side seat connector connects to Pin A on the Pass side, Pin B to Pin B, Pin C to Pin C, and Pin F to Pin F.

Pin D on the Driver's side seat connector is the only independent wire - it goes straight to Gnd; and it looks like the Pass side seat grounds via Pin F after it flow back to the Driver's side seat.

So, given that info, fabricate your own jumper harness and enjoy your power seats!

Oh, it also looks like you need to connect a hard plastic vacuum line between the two seats, as there is only one pump (in the Driver's seat) for both seats.

You can do this - No problem!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you go to my thread you can see the harness(es) in the photos where I recently replaced the carpet:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...001-ws6-3.html

The male and female, white, two wire connectors on the driver's floor actually mate together to power the passenger side seat.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Thanks! This is the best info regarding this project I have got so far! Only problem is I'm no electrician and I don't have a clue were I would go to find all the stuff I need ie wires, connector/socket ends. Don't want to sound like a blonde here but I was hoping I could find a place that builds these type of things. I could easily install one that was already put together.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you mean base model Firebird? All Trans Ams had at least a power driver seat. Theres quite a few differences between a base Firebird and a base Trans Am.

Trans Am is a trim level. Firebird is the model of the car.

So a Trans Am is actually called a Firebird Trans Am. Same deal with the Formula being called Firebird Formula.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

This is what you need, 2 seats and a harness in between. +12v feed coming from car under you driver seat, orange and black wire

Old 07-18-2014, 05:36 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

All good info here, thanks everybody.

OP, as the option wasn't used in the vehicle, the fuse feeding the power seat harness would not be installed in the fuse box.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
Do you mean base model Firebird? All Trans Ams had at least a power driver seat. Theres quite a few differences between a base Firebird and a base Trans Am.

Trans Am is a trim level. Firebird is the model of the car.

So a Trans Am is actually called a Firebird Trans Am. Same deal with the Formula being called Firebird Formula.
No there are two levels of a Trans Am. There's fully loaded (WS6) and what is referred to as the base level which gives you everything except the leather interior. My TA had a cloth interior therefore it was not fully loaded. That's what I meant by base model. Trust me I know the difference between a Firebird and a Firebird Trans Am.

Last edited by LTKNT101; 07-18-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
All good info here, thanks everybody.

OP, as the option wasn't used in the vehicle, the fuse feeding the power seat harness would not be installed in the fuse box.
That doesn't make sense. The two prong port for connecting the power seat jumper harness is installed in the car. Why would they put this part of the power seat wiring in if the fuse is not in the box?
Old 07-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Teching In

I really appreciate the feed back you guys gave on this thread. It's pointed me in the right direction. I located the jumper harness I need on Ebay! Ordered it yesterday and should have my hands on it by Wed July 23. I will let you know if I'm in business. Again thanks!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LTKNT101
No there are two levels of a Trans Am. There's fully loaded (WS6) and what is referred to as the base level which gives you everything except the leather interior. My TA had a cloth interior therefore it was not fully loaded. That's what I meant by base model. Trust me I know the difference between a Firebird and a Firebird Trans Am.
Cloth 01 Trans Am? Thats not factory. Leather was standard on Trans Ams.

Good luck on the swap though.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:31 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

That doesn't make sense. The two prong port for connecting the power seat jumper harness is installed in the car. Why would they put this part of the power seat wiring in if the fuse is not in the box?
GM and other auto makers make harnesses that'll accommodate options-even if the car doesn't have the options installed. It saves them money by reducing the number of harnesses they need.

My daily beater '03 Blazer didn't come with come with cruise control-but the harness and plug for the box was hanging on the firewall. And it works.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Good luck on the swap though.
It might have been standard on say 2nd Gen cars but the late models could be had with cloth or leather as a factory option. For example in 1982, the first year if the 3rd Gen car, the Trans Am had cloth seats. These can be seen on the original Knight Rider TV show. In later years, leather was moved to a fully loaded option only. This was to allow the price to be customized so if you were in the market for a TA but did not want to pay the little over $30,000 it cost during the fourth Gen years for one with all the bells and whistles, you could shave a few hundred dollars of the price by going below the fully loaded option.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Any pic on the car?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:38 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

All Trans Am Firebirds and variations of Trans Am Firebirds (convertibles, WS6, etc.) came standard with leather seats (at least in 2001), none were produced with cloth seats.

This is correct. See here:

http://www.transamworld.com/2001-breakdown.htm

Last edited by Paul Bell; 07-21-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:43 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I've updated the "Firebird models here" sticky to include the production breakdown numbers to make it easier to find.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

It might have been standard on say 2nd Gen cars but the late models could be had with cloth or leather as a factory option. For example in 1982, the first year if the 3rd Gen car, the Trans Am had cloth seats. These can be seen on the original Knight Rider TV show. In later years, leather was moved to a fully loaded option only. This was to allow the price to be customized so if you were in the market for a TA but did not want to pay the little over $30,000 it cost during the fourth Gen years for one with all the bells and whistles, you could shave a few hundred dollars of the price by going below the fully loaded option.
Cloth seats in a 1998-2002 Trans Am? That's a firm negative. Those years came standard with leather.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Cloth seats in a 1998-2002 Trans Am? That's a firm negative. Those years came standard with leather.
You guys could be right about this. I consider myself to be very knowledgeable about these cars however I'm not afraid to admitt that I could be wrong about this. Before I conseed, I will ask GM. Changing the subject, my jumper harness came in the mail today. Plugged it in and hooked up the seats. I have power! I did not have to add a fuse. It was already there! Again thanks to everyone who helped steer me in the right direction. You won't believe how many people I talked to for help before creating this thread. Even my family mechanic told me he could not help. Hopefully this thread will help a person in the future who is going for a power seat conversion for the first time and needs tech support. Now to enjoy my power seats!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

You guys could be right about this. I consider myself to be very knowledgeable about these cars however I'm not afraid to admitt that I could be wrong about this. Before I conseed, I will ask GM.
I'll take a picture from my 2001 GM Brochure that lists the leather seats as standard for the Trans Am. Here's the 2002 GM Firebird Brochure, look on page 9. It's also listed on Trans Am World in their Production Breakdown pages.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TechCam97
I'll take a picture from my 2001 GM Brochure that lists the leather seats as standard for the Trans Am. Here's the 2002 GM Firebird Brochure, look on page 9. It's also listed on Trans Am World in their Production Breakdown pages.
Thanks! Wow this is a little known but interesting fact. So I not only upgraded my interior by installing the leather seats I also restored my Trans Am to it's original factory set up!

Quick Reply: Power seat conversion