Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

might have to order new pulley (squealing and vibrating)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default might have to order new pulley (squealing and vibrating)

What's the difference between under drive and overdrive alternator pulley?

And what's the difference between a harmonic balancer crank pulley or harmonic balancer underdrive pulley....

And asp or slp? Any preference? I know with the slp it says you need to buy a new belt but if that's all then is it worth it to have the higher lip on the pulley?
Old 07-18-2014, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so I did a little reading and basically it frees up a little hp, the asp model have been linked to some vibration issues at higher rpm, the powerbond and slp models are identical just different labeled on them.

Now one thing I did see is people saying on a4 cars it can hurt you in stop go traffic or if you run a big stereo etc ( I have stock speakers and a cheap Wal-Mart deck) but one way to counteract the ud pulley is to get an overdrive pulley for the alternator.

Now with that being said, speeding up the alt could cause issues right? I have a 145 amp alt on there now already. Would getting an od alt pulley still be a good idea if I end up getting an ud pulley?
Old 07-18-2014, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the amazing replies. I figured out the problem, you guys are the best
Old 07-18-2014, 09:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

We are sorry you had a negative experience with your customer service on this site between the hours midnight and 8:00 AM.

Our operators are typically standing by 24 hours a day to immediately answer the answers to your questions, which are already posted on the site. It is quite possible everyone was out on road service calls at the time.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:59 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Phil
Thanks for all the amazing replies. I figured out the problem, you guys are the best
Maybe it's because you frequently post comments like this when you don't get a response in under 30 seconds from posting a thread.

Plus this is a question that would be more appropriate for the Gen III External Engine forum if it hadn't already been answered.

Thank you for using the search feature. That's why it's there.

Quick Reply: might have to order new pulley (squealing and vibrating)