Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Is a Trans Am a Firebird?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys are bumming me out. Geez all "i wish my car came with lighted mirrors and such." I'm glad my baby has what she has and theres very little more i could ask for. Just ask the guy in his 60,000dollar saleen what my 12,000 dollar car with 5g's in mods looked like as i drove by him like he was standing still. And for those that tell you its ugly just look at them and say well how do you like the back cuz thats all your gunna see. or at least its not a mustang.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never asked for it... its just items that normally come on cars with $32,000 window stickers

Ryan.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

on my title it says firebird. I believe the exact designation is Pontiac Firebird Trans am and for me WS.6. its a firebird with a sports package basically.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cefiro
on my title it says firebird. I believe the exact designation is Pontiac Firebird Trans am and for me WS.6. its a firebird with a sports package basically.
If you are referring to the title, it only says firebird; nowhere on the title does it say Trans-Am, or WS6 I now this first hand, if you like, I will try and scan my title for you.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

If you are referring to the title, it only says firebird; nowhere on the title does it say Trans-Am, or WS6 I now this first hand, if you like, I will try and scan my title for you.
I know, mine only says firebird too. I was merely stating in a different sentence that the T/A is derived from the firebird.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey just curious do any of you Firehawk owners have a title on your car? I was wondering if the Firehawks say Firebird on the title or FireHawk, or both...Talk about being pissed off, If I had bought a FireHawk, and it said Firebird and not FireHawk, I'd be pissed...
Old 07-28-2004, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Hey just curious do any of you Firehawk owners have a title on your car? I was wondering if the Firehawks say Firebird on the title or FireHawk, or both...Talk about being pissed off, If I had bought a FireHawk, and it said Firebird and not FireHawk, I'd be pissed...
Firehawk is still a Firebird, just like a WS.6 is. Im pretty sure it will say firebird also.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Pulling up my window sticker from when I bought the car, it says Firebird TransAm. So that is how GM considers the car.

Now most states in the registration, title and insurance companies consider it a just a Firebird; they don't like long names and it simplifies their paperwork.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

They're all Firebirds with option packages (as mentioned), but if someone said they had a Firebird, I would automatically assume it was a six-banger. Also, I've heard people try to put me down by asking if it was a "Firebird" (meaning a "Firebird with no fire," as in a six-banger). I just say it's a Trans Am, and their attitude changes immediately, so it seems that people who don't these cars very well, think that a Firebird is a six-cylinder. To me, to call my car a Firebird is an insult because I know what they mean by that comment.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Hey miner_49, I noticed you're from Cerritos. I went to Gahr HS back in the 70s, with Jim Zorn.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dawg One
Umm...yeah.
There is a Firebird, with package options as Formula, Trans Am, WS6 and WU6.
Both of my Trans Am's said "Formula/Trans Am" on them according to the insurance classifications. I had to make doubly sure that they understood implicitly that my Firehawk was recognized as such because it is of a much higher replacement value than just a Trans Am.
Same here.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Predator
They're all Firebirds with option packages (as mentioned), but if someone said they had a Firebird, I would automatically assume it was a six-banger. Also, I've heard people try to put me down by asking if it was a "Firebird" (meaning a "Firebird with no fire," as in a six-banger). I just say it's a Trans Am, and their attitude changes immediately, so it seems that people who don't these cars very well, think that a Firebird is a six-cylinder. To me, to call my car a Firebird is an insult because I know what they mean by that comment.
Well most Firebirds are six bangers. The Formula Firebird is different. Just as Trans-AM and Firehawk are different.

I had this discussion today. A guy at work didn't understand why I reffered to the car as a "Firehawk". He said I should just call it a Trans-AM. So I had to explain the differences between a Firebird/Formula/Trans-AM/Firehawk.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

I love it when mustang people call my car a firebird. I always think to myself if you only knew that I'm about to smoke you.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99'Formula
I love it when mustang people call my car a firebird. I always think to myself if you only knew that I'm about to smoke you.
With those numbers, try going to the street racing section and saying that. There are a couple mustang guys there that will eat your Formula for dinner. Your mustang comment was immature and unnecessary.

Back on topic, I'm the "friend" f-bodeee was arguing with when he started this thread. I was with him when he typed it. Doesn't say Firebird anywhere on Trans Am's (as stated earlier). Case put to rest. Somebody come lock this dumb thread. It is just going around in circles.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

On the title paperwork it says Firebird. Even for the Firehawk cars. At least that is the case with mine.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:06 PM
Teching In

On my title it is referred to as " FIREBIRD FTA" . Meaning Firebird Formula/Trans Am. That's what the insurance refers to it as too
Old 08-20-2004, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Who here remembers the Firebird Espirit package available in the late 70's?
Old 08-21-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dawg One
I had to make doubly sure that they understood implicitly that my Firehawk was recognized as such because it is of a much higher replacement value than just a Trans Am.
Not really...
Old 08-22-2004, 04:20 AM
On The Tree

what's super weird is older folks who weren't born here in america and came from another country, call my car a camaro. i'm sorta impressed by that because i woulda never guessed they were the same car. i just carry a picture of my forumla ws6 and my ex 2000 trans am in my wallet, it takes bout 10 mins to tell ppl the difference so depending on my mood i either tell the story or just say its a firebird. when i worked as a cartboy for costco i was helping some folks load stuff into their ls1 trans am and i said nice car i have a formula ws6 myself, and the lady was 'finally someone who can tell the difference!'
Old 08-23-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

I wouldn't be impressed by someone calling my car a Camaro. There is a huge difference their. Nothing against Camaro's but I'd be offended.

I can see the similarities between the two. From certain angles one could mistake the two if they didn't really know their stuff.

The Formula/Firebird/Firehawk/Trans-AM issue however is common. I generally don't get upset with that one.

Although I had a co-worker mistake my Firehawk for a Firebird. He didn't know the difference. That caused me to become a little upset. To have my Hawk mistaken for a V6 Firebird is irritating to say the least.

Quick Reply: Is a Trans Am a Firebird?