Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 Trans Am questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Trans Am questions

Greetings everyone!

I am not very knowledgeable at figuring out mechanical problems and the such. Anyways, I have a 2000 Trans Am that, when shifted into 3rd and 4th gear, seem to grind like crazy. It does not grind when you let the RPMS calm down or baby her. From searching around, I gathered it could be the Syncrho's. Reverse is also a little rough going into, every other gear feels fine.

As well, I am located in Norfolk, VA and I am trying to find a good shop to rebuild my transmission. I gathered Tick Performance is really good, but the issue with that is I have no knowledge or way of pulling the transmission from the car. It is a bit of a dilemma.

That's the transmission part, I also have a fewer minor (at least I believe they are) issues. It likes to make a faint knocking noise when cold, which I heard is normal for the LS1's and is called piston slap. Though, it made the exact same noise when it was warmed up, but it was a pretty cold day.
I have a bad driver side motor and it seems O2 sensor 1 heater bank 1 caused my SES light to trigger. I wanted to know an average cost to get that replaced?

I do apologize for all the questions, I bought the Trans Am knowing stuff is wrong with her, but I just love it haha. She gets up and moves, but seems hesitant in the early RPM's.

Any recommendations for the transmission and O2 sensor?

Thank you and appreciate it.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Give us a call and ask to speak to one of our trans builders. They'd be glad to go over what possibly could be wrong with your transmission.

We'd also be glad to R&R your trans for you if you can find a way to get the car to us. We're normally booked a good 3-5 weeks in advance on labor, but this time of year is slower for us and we can probably fit you in on 1-2 weeks notice.

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am questions