Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Required CCAs for 2002 Firehawk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Required CCAs for 2002 Firehawk?

Went out to a dead battery, so I'm in the market for a new battery. I put the charger on it and it starts, but I don't know how old this battery (Napa Legend) is and its obviously not up to not being charged regularly...

So It looks like a group 75 battery, but with what CCAs? And what brand is everyone running or which one would be your next battery?

Firestone has a coupon for an Interstate Mega-Tron II for $99.99 good until the end of the month, so Im leaning that way.

TIA
Old 01-12-2015, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump!! My car is BARELY starting in this frigid weather so Im assuming its time for a new battery, curious what's the best bargain budget out there and how many CCA's also.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got a Duralast from Autozone that starts my car just fine in the cold. It has 690 CCAs.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:41 AM
Launching!

Thanks, I've had the Duralast Gold in other vehicles, and have had mixed results.

That Firestone coupon isnt all that great of a deal, they take $20.00 off the cost of the battery but you have to let them install it for you at a cost of $14.95.

Who pays for battery installation these days? With the parts stores doing it for free.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,080 Posts

I always just go with the AC Delco Professional (their better series) for these cars, the CCA rating has gone up and down a bit over the years, but it's always been plenty even for the coldest weather. I always get 5-7 years from one of these, then replace it. The one in my '98 is now at 6 years old and is just beginning to show signs of weakness....probably could get another year out of it, but will likely replace it this spring.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:03 AM
Launching!

AC Delco was one of my first thoughts for a replacement, however the nearest place to obtain one is nearly 20 miles away. I wish they were closer, its not that far but if im dealing with a battery issue 20 miles can be PITA.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:32 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 323 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by CO_BlackHawk
Firestone has a coupon for an Interstate Mega-Tron II for $99.99 good until the end of the month, so Im leaning that way.
I wouldn't get too hung up on brand. If you are shopping for a conventional battery, odds are they are all the same with a different label slapped on the front. They are comodities and are are only 2 or 3 companies that actually make them for the various brands.

Going for the AC-Delco may not give you better "performance" but my experience has also been that the cases are a little nicer and seem to be more rugged/durable.

If you want to avoid the long drive for something like the AC-Delco, then you should just go with whatever is the least expensive. (Comparing the warranty period on the batteries to make sure you are apples-to-apples.) The longer warranty batteries should have more pure internals and should last longer. (CCA's etc. should all be in the same ballpark unless you are looking at a deep-cycle battery. Those will have a lower CCA, but will perform better for you if the car sits long periods of time without being started.)
Old 01-13-2015, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Yea I realize that most batteries are made by only a few companies and re-branded.

I was thinking about another Optima yellow top, as I have one in my off road toy CJ7, and it starts everytime no matter how long it seems to sit. But wasn't wanting to drop the coin on an optima, especially since the Hawk sits in the garage and can easily be hooked up to a $30 battery tender.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Who pays for battery installation these days? With the parts stores doing it for free.
People with cars that have batteries in dumb places like the wheel well or under a seat or under the carpet in the trunk.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:07 PM
Save the manuals!

Yea I realize that most batteries are made by only a few companies and re-branded.
So, what are you trying to find out? If you just ask people what is best or what they are running, then they are going to tell you that what is in their car is the way to go. (If someone has spent their hard earned money on something, it must be the "best.")

If you want to know what is reliable, you'd probably get better answers by asking people for their bad experiences and then use the process of elimination.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
People with cars that have batteries in dumb places like the wheel well or under a seat or under the carpet in the trunk.
The parts store offer of free installation doesn't apply in those situations?

I didn't know that.

Originally Posted by wssix99
So, what are you trying to find out? If you just ask people what is best or what they are running, then they are going to tell you that what is in their car is the way to go. (If someone has spent their hard earned money on something, it must be the "best.")

If you want to know what is reliable, you'd probably get better answers by asking people for their bad experiences and then use the process of elimination.
I'm just soliciting opinions, yes I phrased it positively, but if someone wanted to pass along negative feedback on a brand or manufacturer, I'd listen to those opinions as well.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:03 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I think the minimum CCA for these cars is 650.

I like the Bosch premium batteries at Pep Boys. Made by one of the best brands, Interstate.

Good warranty and covered at every Pep Boys store across the country.

For a performance battery, I'd look at Odyssey.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:23 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I've always bought the highest CCA"s I could get in the size of battery that our cars use. The higher the CCA the better.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
I've always bought the highest CCA"s I could get in the size of battery that our cars use. The higher the CCA the better.

I've found that batteries of similar construction and quality have the same/equivalent CCA ratings. So, (IMO) I don't think there is a lot of value in hunting for max CCA once one has settled on a battery type. I've always been suspicious of the number itself. Kind of like NFL player weights. The roster says 305, but they are really truly only 270 lbs.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the replies, installed a Interstate battery this afternoon. Well see if they live up to the hype.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let us know if there are any problems with that one, ive heard they're junk and heard they're good
Old 01-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Launching!

I've got a Battery Tender 800 coming on Friday.

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 022-0150-DL-WH Waterproof 800 Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: Battery Tender 022-0150-DL-WH Waterproof 800 Battery Charger: Automotive

Plan to hook it up this weekend, and leave it on that when it sits for weeks. So if the interstate gives me trouble even after having it on the charger, then it will be confirmed as junk.

I hope this battery gets me till 2020, but time will tell.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,080 Posts

As mentioned above, many of the brands are made by the same manufacturers and just packaged/labeled for different retailers. I don't like the ridiculous green/white case color of the Interstate branded units (do they sell one in black?) so I've never bought one, but I think what really matters is what wssix99 mentioned above - the warranty period. Those batteries that are offered with the most premium warranty should also have the most pure materials and thus longest lifespan. AC Delco offers two different warranty grades, with their "professional" series being the better of the two. I'm sure this is comparable to other brands with the same premium warranty.

My '98 is a seldom driven car, usually sitting for 2-3 weeks between drive periods during the on-season and for 4-6 months during the winter. I've never left a tender hooked up full time, but when it sits for 4 weeks or more I do hook up a smart charger until it's complete. Again, I'm up to 6 years on this same battery and it's just now starting to show early signs of lower-than-perfect voltage after sitting for a couple weeks.

I know some people really believe in having a tender hooked up full time for the weekend drivers, but I don't see how I could have gotten much better life out of this battery by doing things any different. 6-7 years of reliable service is about the best you can hope for no matter what maintenance practice you follow IMO.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Yes the top of the line Interstate battery comes in Black the Mega-Tron plus, with a 6 year warranty, 3 full 3 prorated I believe. I got the Mega-Tron II, which has a 5 year 3 full 2 prorated, and yes its in the ugly green white combo. Wanted the Plus, but it was out of stock, and just wanted this finished up so got the ugly one, might spring for a battery cover.

I've never used the tender before, but in the winter the Hawk will sit for a couple weeks waiting for good driving weather, so will use the tender then, in the summer hope to get more use/playtime with it, so probably won't use the tender much then.

Quick Reply: Required CCAs for 2002 Firehawk?