Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

ignition cylinder swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition cylinder swap?

finally got the engine into the doner body from my old 98 T/A nearly 100% complete excluding paint. Not bad for a kid. now my issue, other than vacuum linesDX my new 98 T/A body didnt come with the ignition key. soooooo i would absolutely hate to buy a replacement key for 150$ or whatever. my question is, can i take the old T/A's ignition cylinder and swap it into the new T/A with the fitting key? anything to save a couple hundred. please let me know if this tedious task can be accomplished. Took me 2+ months to build rebuild this freaking car from nearly a shell, only thing in my way is a key
Old 02-03-2015, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The last time I had GM cut me a new key it was $25. To answer your question, yes you can use the old ignition cylinder. However, you'll either need to do the VATS bypass or have a new key cut to match the value in the current car's BCM.

Unless you're lucky and the two BCM's have the same pellet value stored (1 in 15 chance). Easiest solution, go get a new key from GM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:06 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I think Spartan7 said it perfectly.

I swapped the ignition cylinder in my '00 last year. My situation was slightly different since I had the old ignition key to match up with the new key pattern. Good luck to you on getting it ironed out.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it took me about an hour but, I just remembered I am using my older PCM and wiring harness, so i went with the swap. the old harness/pcm had the vats bypass on it already. so i should be in the green. but i do need a new key for the door locks, no big deal

Quick Reply: ignition cylinder swap?