Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Purchasing dilemma.. Opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing dilemma.. Opinions please!

Not sure if this is the right forum, please direct this to the right one if so!

I am looking at two cars right now.. A 2001 all original, one-owner, 38k mile black on black M6 WS6. The other car is LS1caliboy's 11-second WS6 which is so bad (in a good way!) Smog won't be an issue as I have an address in Mendocino County which is smog exempt. Here's his car.. http://https://ls1tech.com/forums/ve...san-diego.html

Both cars are being offered to me at the same price, and that price is very low compared to the rest of the CA market and both cars seem too hard to pass up.

As much as I feel like it would be awesome to have a modded WS6 with under 50k on the dash, to have the car modded to the extent of LS1caliboy's, I would probably end up spending an extra $10-15k on top of the purchase price. I also understand that there are not very many unmolested cars out there with this few miles, let alone any out there with that few of miles period; and that is worth a lot of money in itself. Considering how I am with my cars, would it be better off for the Trans Am community to sell the 38k mile car to someone who would appreciate it staying stock more than I would?

Opinions please!
Old 03-20-2015, 02:21 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronMC_
Not sure if this is the right forum, please direct this to the right one if so!

I am looking at two cars right now.. A 2001 all original, one-owner, 38k mile black on black M6 WS6. The other car is LS1caliboy's 11-second WS6 which is so bad (in a good way!) Smog won't be an issue as I have an address in Mendocino County which is smog exempt. Here's his car.. http://https://ls1tech.com/forums/ve...san-diego.html

Both cars are being offered to me at the same price, and that price is very low compared to the rest of the CA market and both cars seem too hard to pass up.

As much as I feel like it would be awesome to have a modded WS6 with under 50k on the dash, to have the car modded to the extent of LS1caliboy's, I would probably end up spending an extra $10-15k on top of the purchase price. I also understand that there are not very many unmolested cars out there with this few miles, let alone any out there with that few of miles period; and that is worth a lot of money in itself. Considering how I am with my cars, would it be better off for the Trans Am community to sell the 38k mile car to someone who would appreciate it staying stock more than I would?

Opinions please!
Just my opinion, but always go for the car that is stock or closest to it. No disrespect to the modded car, but if there are problems you won't know what's wrong with it until you dig into it and then have to try and figure out someone else's project.

Now, if you're looking for a project car that's only going to be driven sporadically then I guess the project car is fine, but personally, I would start with a car that's good to go with the lowest potential for issues or guesswork involved.

Finally, wouldn't you rather build your own 11 second car?
Old 03-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, modifications always come with a question mark. Id go with the stocker.

If you pass on it, there's no guarantee that the next buyer is going to keep it that way anyway.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll cast my vote for the stock car as well. Far less guesswork is involved if/when something does break.

Always better to start fresh instead of continuing someone else's save file.

Last edited by Kevin Lee 487; 03-20-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:16 PM
GDL
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote stock as well. My '99 z28 has just 29,3XX and while I wanted a 'bird, stock f body's that have low mikes are too hard to find. No knock against a built car but if something breaks it isn't as easy to know what brand the part is unless you did the mod.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

If the Carfax is clean (title) and no apparent issues, get the one-owner 'stock' car. An M6 is just icing on the cake if you like shifting. It's not easy to find unmolested M6 cars like this for reasonable prices.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Tough choice indeed man. I'll go with the modded bird if all was good with it and the upgrades were done RIGHT. You will eventually end up buying parts for it....so why not have someone have paid for them already?

It's in every single F-body owner that we have that crave for speed and power so as stated earlier if the mods were done right....take Flight and never look back....unless you wanna see what a stock F-body runs

Quick Reply: Purchasing dilemma.. Opinions please!