Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

CEL P0306 = #6 Cylinder Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CEL P0306 = #6 Cylinder Misfire

Happens only when washing the car or heavy rain (2001 V6 Firebird) 86,000 miles.

After getting wet, she starts kind of hard and throws a code but after some light driving and letting the car run for awhile, everything seems to dry up. I usually pull the code and reset and no more service engine light. Until the next wash or rain that is........

Plan to change the plugs/wires and maybe look at pulling cleaning/sealing the coils (if that is even possible).

Also after reading some threads about a possible issue with the seal by the wipers letting water in, might take a look at that too.

I will post back on my progress in case someone else runs into a similar issue.

If anyone has any additional ideas it would be appreciated.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Plugs and wires for sure especially if they've got anything close to 60K miles on them.

When you put the coils back on, use some of that dielectric grease on the terminals and the prongs where it mounts to the ICM. Be sure to do that on the plugs/wires as well.

If your weather strip at the back of the hood is damaged, that might be another thing that is letting water drip onto the coils.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Ok - so Rock Auto came through and now I need to find some time this weekend. While placing the order for the plugs and wires, thought might as well get the new rotors and brake pads I was going to do anyway.
Attached Thumbnails CEL P0306 = #6 Cylinder Misfire-brakes.jpg  
Old 11-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Finally got around to changing the plugs and wires this weekend. After thoroughly soaking the car with water driving and soaking some more, there were NO more misfires.

Quick Reply: CEL P0306 = #6 Cylinder Misfire