Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

SLP spring shock combo header clearance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 10:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Default SLP spring shock combo header clearance.

I was looking at going with the SLP spring and shock combo for my WS6. With kooks and kooks ORY have any of you had ground clearance issues with this combination for daily driver duty.

If there are clearance problems I will just stick with stock springs and the Bilsteins all I ever do is drive the car on the highway anyhow. It will never see a drag strip or roadcourse.

Last edited by 01WS6/tamu; 11-30-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can help in the area!

My last Trans AM (black) I installed the SLP kit, bilstein shocks along with their matching Eibach lowering springs. The combination of those parts for a daily driver like mine, was A+ in my opinion. Loved the feel of the car.

That said I also had Kooks 1 3/4" headers with kooks matching y-pipe and cats, all tucked up well. Ground clearance was "okay", but I'd scrap now and then depending on the driveway I was backing out of (or into) and speed-bumps if not angled correctly.

I now have a red Trans AM, bought with only 50,000 miles, stock! Like you, I'm thinking what I want to do with the suspension.

In spring I'm going to go with the same bilstein shocks, but keep the stock springs. Summer next year will get the headers. For me, its not worth the constant diligence in driving to avoid scraping.

This is my point of view for what its worth! Let me, us know what you decide.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Stock springs it is then at that point. I've had dropped lower than SLP combo TA's and DD duty was a pita almost had to plan a trip to grocery store like I was rolling in a monte carlo on hydros at full drop.

I don't mind driving careful but having to drive defensively daily sucks
Old 12-02-2015, 06:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You and I are definetly thinking alike on this!

Quick Reply: SLP spring shock combo header clearance.