Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

97 LS1 into 00 WS6 HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 LS1 into 00 WS6 HELP!

Hey guys,
Short story, hydrolocked the block and threw a rod in my 00 WS6 and blew a huge hole in the side. I found a new LS1 block with heads from a 97 TA. I've transferred everything else from my engine to it and now have it in the car. Here's the issue I was unaware of: the heads on a stock 97 are different than on the 00. What this means is that the cross over tube (from one valve cover to the other) on my 00 inserted directly into cover. On the 97 it connects via nipple (pic 1) has anyone encountered this problem our can give me some ideas on how to connect all of the hoses together, a diagram perhaps? Also, the plug in pic 2 I cannot remember where it connects. Finally pics 3 & 4 are the 2 nipples under the throttle body, where do those connect to? Thanks for any help!

Valve cover drivers side, hose on 97 connects to that nipple

On wire harness, plug is in between last fuel rail plug and a/c compressor plug. It's to the left of the throttle body, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't plug into the throttle body because that's on the right and already has a plug.

Nipple 1

Nipple 2
Old 03-02-2016, 08:23 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

The nipples on the valve covers are for the PCV system. The LS1 PCV system is pretty poor. I would highly recommend you upgrade to the LS6 PCV system.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

The real difference in the heads is the '97 valve covers are perimeter bolt, '99 and up are center bolt.

I'm not sure about the plug.

The tubes under the throttle body takes the four corner steam vent line and routes it through the throttle body, then to the radiator. This heats up the throttle body so the blade doesn't ice when it's below freezing outside. Usually the first thing people bypass as it can warm the incoming air charge, which reduces performance.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=13

Last edited by Paul Bell; 03-02-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The plug should be for the EGR valve that was installed on 98-00 Fbody LS1s. Pretty sure you got your engine from a 98 T/A as the 97s were still rocking the LT1s at the time. If your using your old 01 PCM you will be able to delete the EGR connector. You will also want to double check to make sure the pinouts on the 98 pcm are the same as the 01 since I know they changed the PCMs on 99+. If you are running the PCM from the 98 you can have the EGR tuned out of it using HP tuners or similar tuning software.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:53 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
Pretty sure you got your engine from a 98 T/A as the 97s were still rocking the LT1s at the time.
Good catch! I was sleeping at the time.......

Quick Reply: 97 LS1 into 00 WS6 HELP!