Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Keep or paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep or paint?

So I've got a '98 formula with the gold paint job on it from the factory. I know the color is rare and only 52(if I remember correctly) were made with this color.

But I hate it lol.

What's the consensus on a color change or keeping the stock color? I mean the color isn't really going to affect any 'collectibility' but it's different so I'm torn.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

If you are going to keep the car for a couple of years paint it the color you want.
But if your going to sell the car soon, paint it the color the factory gave it.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple of options to save the paint.

Vinyl wrap is a bit costly/ labor intensive because our front bumpers have so many curves, holes and slots. But if done right it saves the paint and you get several years with a choice color. And if done right it looks every bit as good as a good paint job.

Plasti dip is a relatively new concept. I recently plasti dipped my car. People either love or hate the idea. I'm personally very happy with my car and started getting compliments on the street again. Do a lot of research before you judge. There are some very good looking white dipped cars (I posted pics in another thread of mine).
Anyway, it's much more affordable and also saves the paint.

As for changing the color.. After the prices I got to do it right I realized it's just not worth it for me at the moment.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

If your mileage is low and the car is in truly excellent condition, do NOT change the color. It will fetch a decent price.
If your car is higher mileage and a 'driver' in average shape, do whatever you like. As you stated, it won't affect price at that point. Not enough to seriously affect the value anyway, plus you can get whatever color that you like to enjoy your car.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Changing the color is hard. Unless you take all the glass out, all the interior, etc.: you'll still see that gold when you open the doors and through the window/hatch glass. You may end up paying a lot more than the car is worth (at this point) to change the color.

If you really hate it, you may be better off selling it for a premium to someone who is after the color and then getting another car.

BTW - I feel your pain. I ordered a blue car and waited 9 months for it and GM delivered a black one to my dealer because they were over quota by that point in the production year...
Old 09-06-2016, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

It's not that hard. Glass doesn't need to come out and I can paint it myself. It's got 105k so it's not a garage queen at all. I think I'll look into plastidip too though. Doesn't it come off easily though?
Old 09-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
Changing the color is hard. Unless you take all the glass out, all the interior, etc.: you'll still see that gold when you open the doors and through the window/hatch glass. You may end up paying a lot more than the car is worth (at this point) to change the color.

If you really hate it, you may be better off selling it for a premium to someone who is after the color and then getting another car.

BTW - I feel your pain. I ordered a blue car and waited 9 months for it and GM delivered a black one to my dealer because they were over quota by that point in the production year...
that sucks! Lol. I don't think selling it is really worth it. I figure I can paint it myself for about 2200 worth of materials.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stoplightbandit
I think I'll look into plastidip too though. Doesn't it come off easily though?
I have a friend that had it for 3 years. Still stuck. I'm on about 3+ months as of now and it's holding up very well. I won't lie, I'm surprised how well it's holding up. But you definitely have to do it right.

BTW I'd have replied sooner if I could figure out how to search for my posts without only getting very old results.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thingthatgoes
I have a friend that had it for 3 years. Still stuck. I'm on about 3+ months as of now and it's holding up very well. I won't lie, I'm surprised how well it's holding up. But you definitely have to do it right.

BTW I'd have replied sooner if I could figure out how to search for my posts without only getting very old results.
lmao. It's all good. Not like I'm waiting with a can of paint in my hand. I really want to go white. What do you mean do it right? I always thought that stuff was point and spray.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's like paint in the sense of, it's all about prep.
You can go ahead and just point and spray, but these are a few examples of how to make it last much longer.

1) after a good washing and drying, go over your car with "pre-dip" or a 50/50 water alcohol solution with a rag. This gets any leftover traces of grease and oil off. It prevents bubbling and is also a good idea if you vinyl wrap it.

2) I ignored my friends warning that, despite being able to peel off excess so you shouldn't necessarily HAVE to remove any panels or lenses, you absolutely should pull off the rubber window paneling. You want the material to get under the rubber pannels and not have it end right at the rubber. That's a sure place it would peel.

3) the more coats, the better it looks, longer it lasts and easier it will make it to peel off when you want to lose it.

Those are the mistakes I made and corrected first hand. Spend some time on YouTube videos and you'll get what you need.

For me, it realistically took about 5 hours of prep and 2 hours of spraying iirc.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump because I have anxiety issues.

My opinion for YOUR situation would be to vinyl the car white. And if you have the courage to do it yourself it'll probably cost you about $500 and a lot of hours, ideally with someone helping.
The front bumper being the hardest part, I'd even save that alone for plasti dip and it would look like you have a same color bra. But that's just my opinion.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Post up pictures!
Old 09-16-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes a ws6 hood makes a world of difference
Old 09-16-2016, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hawk584
Sometimes a ws6 hood makes a world of difference
I'm still waiting til I could find one at a decent price.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's my first job so I'm happy with how it came out. That being said, there's a lot of things I'd like to redo. I have taken care of the wheels since. And as for the matte finish, it's not for everyone. The black is vinyl. That turned out to be a bigger pain in the *** than I'd expected to do it on my own. The car is NBM underneath. There are other guys on this forum with better work.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

That looks pretty good from that distance! I have a NBM too and wanted a white TA but couldn't pass this deal up. Any more photos?
Old 01-24-2017, 07:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'll have to look for some more photos. I have them somewhere...
As an update, I've been negligent with washing the car. It's literally been months. Between that and having been parked on the streets in Queens every day, it's already got some wear and scuffs on it. However, in the spring I plan on spending a half a day to add a couple more layers.
I'll put new photos up when I wash the car.

On a side note, if I had a garage I would've taken my time and done a wrap. But I'm not going to invest that kind of time or money since I'm still parking this on the street.

Quick Reply: Keep or paint?