Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

93 Formula Firebird Instrument Cluster Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Formula Firebird Instrument Cluster Question

Hello, I have another question relating to my son and I's 93 Firebird project...

We've been working on this for a while, and when we got the car both cooling fans were hot wired thru a toggle switch. I've removed the switch, replaced both the gauge temp sending unit and the cooling fan/ECU sending unit, as well as one of the fan motors that was bad. The car also had an aftermarket temp gauge... which I also removed and hooked the stock gauge back up.

Since I've done that, I can see why the original owmer had all that in there; the car's temp gauge isnt reading correctly. When I check the actual sending unit's temp with my DVM's thermostat, the car idles at about 195 to 210, while the gauge is reading between 220 and 250 (depending on how long it idles) So, the gauge isn't right, and I'm chalking this up to a bad gauge since the sending unit is new.

My question is... what instrument clusters will interchange? I can see that their are 2 different clusters just based on looks... 93-97, and 98-02... and the only difference is analog odometer vs a digital odometer. The other difference would be V8 vs V6, because of the tach. Aside from that, there is also a 110 MPH vs a 150 MPH.

Can I replace this 93 instrument cluster with a v8 cluster out of a 98? Will the digital odometer work in my son's 93 that was previously analog? And... can I replace it with a 150 MPH speedo where his was previously a 110, will the speedo still read correctly if I do?

Thanks for any info. I've searched and foumd some info on Camaro gauge cluster swaps, but that's a bit confusing. I can't find any info on the 110 to 150 speedo, or the 98-02 cluster to a 93-97 style.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Teching In

So I already found the answer to one of my questions- the 150 speedo does interchange with the 110, it's just a matter of changing the clusters and the speedo still works fine.

Will the analog clusters interchange with the digital odometer clusters?
Old 09-08-2016, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsk8
So I already found the answer to one of my questions- the 150 speedo does interchange with the 110, it's just a matter of changing the clusters and the speedo still works fine.

Will the analog clusters interchange with the digital odometer clusters?
Nope, they wont interchange from analog to digital. Also the way the 97-02 cluster vs the 93-96 circuit board is different as well. I was bored one day and tried to put a 98 cluster into my 94 and the thing when crazy lol when I turned on the blinker, the speedo needle went from zero to 155 to zero really fast repeatedly!

I don't think there would be a problem with putting one from a 94-96 into the 93. If you know of one somewhere try and see if it works. On Hawks they are labeled for sale as 93-96 so they must interchange lol
Old 09-08-2016, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94_LT1_TransAm
Nope, they wont interchange from analog to digital. Also the way the 97-02 cluster vs the 93-96 circuit board is different as well. I was bored one day and tried to put a 98 cluster into my 94 and the thing when crazy lol when I turned on the blinker, the speedo needle went from zero to 155 to zero really fast repeatedly!

I don't think there would be a problem with putting one from a 94-96 into the 93. If you know of one somewhere try and see if it works. On Hawks they are labeled for sale as 93-96 so they must interchange lol
Thanks! I ordered one out of a 95 today, should have it next week some time, I'll report back on whether or not it works.

Quick Reply: 93 Formula Firebird Instrument Cluster Question