Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 Trans Am LQ9 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Trans Am LQ9 swap

Hey guys I have a couple questions. I'm beginning a LQ9 swap and was curious if:

1. Do I need any modifications to make my LS6 intake work/fit?

2. Will my 28# LS1 injectors and fuel rail fit the LQ9?

3. Do I need to swap over my harmonic balancer for my t56 to be balanced correctly?

4. Will my LS7 clutch kit work with the LQ9 without issues or balancing?

5. What is a better cam to use, the stock LQ9 cam or my Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam? And will my chromoly hardened pushroads from my LS1 work and/or be better for the LQ9?
Old 09-14-2016, 08:33 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

1. Do I need any modifications to make my LS6 intake work/fit?

No, the LS6 intake will bolt right on.

2. Will my 28# LS1 injectors and fuel rail fit the LQ9?

The LS1/6 injectors and rail need to match and fit the intake, not the engine, so yes to this.

3. Do I need to swap over my harmonic balancer for my t56 to be balanced correctly?

The transmission doesn't depend on the engine's balancer for anything. BUT the balancer needs to match the accessory drive. You'll be using the F-body stuff so the balancer needs to match.

4. Will my LS7 clutch kit work with the LQ9 without issues or balancing?

MAYBE. SOME truck engines have difference in crank length at the rear. Re-post this one question in the manual transmission section.

5. What is a better cam to use, the stock LQ9 cam or my Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam? And will my chromoly hardened pushroads from my LS1 work and/or be better for the LQ9?

Stock cams are usually pretty conservative. Certainly, the Lingenfelter grind will produce better performance.

You are doing the LS6 PCV mod, RIGHT?? http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am LQ9 swap