Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

98 trans am headlight malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016 | 09:23 PM
Teching In

Default 98 trans am headlight malfunction

Recently my Trans Am started making an awful noise when I would use the headlamps. When the doors would go back down it would make a rattling noise for about six seconds and then stop.
after reading a few threads on this forum, I elected to order a replacement gear for the headlight motor.

48 hours later, the new metal gear arrived. Thank you, Mr. Brent and I hope that this solves the headlamp issue. I will be able to install it sometime next week and then we'll see!

Last edited by wssix99; 10-27-2016 at 06:07 AM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed
Old 10-27-2016 | 06:12 AM
Save the manuals!
15 Year Member

Welcome to the site. Please also be sure to read our new members section, rules, and non-sponsor solicitation policy.

There are several suppliers for metal gears and one thing to keep in mind is that they don't actually fix accute problems that lead to stripped gears. When your gears arrive, they will have detailed instructions and warnings on what to look for.
Old 10-27-2016 | 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

You could also just do the free fix and disconnect the motor from the headlight and rotate the shaft by hand 180 degrees then reinstall. The motor only uses half of the gear and the other side is still good when the first side breaks. You get to break it twice before you actually have to replace it.

Either way it is an easy fix.

Quick Reply: 98 trans am headlight malfunction