Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue2001TA
What brand leds is everyone using?
Best place to buy some from?

Thanks.
I got all mine From Walmart. Everything but the 4 brake lights are Pilot Automotive, and the brakes are Sylvania. For the 194 bulbs, I recommend you try to find something other than Pilots, as I'm starting to notice the 194 are being a little glitchy.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:21 PM
Teching In

I used the following flasher and LEDs for my 02 Camaro SS Convertible:

All from <a non-sponsor who will not get free advertising here>

CEC Industries EF32RL Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay, LED Compatible
(with pigtail ground wire)

LEDKINGDOMUS 10x Festoon 44mm 12-SMD Rigid Loop 1.73" White LED Light Bulbs 9 (for interior back seat 'dome' lights and trunk light)

SYLVANIA ZEVO 3157 Amber LED Bulb for front and rear flashers
(2 packages of 2)

SiriusLED 30W 3157 3157A 3057 3155 3457 4157 Dual Brightness LED Bulbs with Projector for Reverse Backup
(SUPER BRIGHT. Light up the neighborhood!)

194 LED Light bulb, Yorkim 2015 Newest, 5th Generation, Interior Lights for W5W 194 168 2825 T10 Wedge 5-smd 5050, Replacement and Reverse T10 White Bulbs(Pack of 10)- Orange/Amber
(I used for front marker lights)

JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W High Power 881 CREE LED Bulbs for DRL or Fog Lights, Xenon White
(I used for fog lights but not really very bright, may have to go back to halogens.....)

LED Light bulb, Yorkim 2015 Newest, 5th Generation, Interior Lights for W5W 194 168 2825 T10 Wedge 5-smd 5050, Replacement and Reverse T10 White Bulbs (Pack of 10)- White
(I used for all other white interior and exterior lights that use the white T-10 bulb) *** don't forget your ashtray bulb in the console! remove the twist-on cover and drill or cut open the little window so you get more light: take your time and don't cut more than you need to....

Philips 3157 Intense Red Vision LED Stop/Tail light, 2 Pack
(I used for stop/tail lights BUT...YOUR CRUISE CONTROL WILL PROBABLY STOP WORKING unless you leave one of your stop/tail/third brake lights as an incandescent bulb)

Last edited by wssix99; 12-31-2016 at 08:42 AM. Reason: non-sponsor reference removed
Old 01-10-2017, 11:04 AM
Teching In

So I finally took the time to do this, and I am having some issues with the front lights. If I put on the parking lights, the 4 front lights light up, the rear lights light up, and its all good. As soon as I turn on the blinkers, the rears work correctly, but the fronts don't. What could be causing this?
Old 01-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ksirb
So I finally took the time to do this, and I am having some issues with the front lights. If I put on the parking lights, the 4 front lights light up, the rear lights light up, and its all good. As soon as I turn on the blinkers, the rears work correctly, but the fronts don't. What could be causing this?
That is odd, what do they do? Stay lit and not blink? Are you sure you got the right flasher, and that the bulbs are 3157NA? Also just try moving the bulbs around in the socket, LEDs seem to be temperamental and have a sweet spot
Old 01-10-2017, 09:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

but the fronts don't.
What does this mean? Do both lights turn off? Does only one turn off? Do both stay on? Do they behave the same if the parking lights are on or off???

What could be causing this?
The interaction between the flasher, the DRL module, and the bulbs.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

<Original post removed>

I found this post which is my issue: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-not-work.html

Moving my questions to that thread.

Last edited by thefirebirdman; 01-23-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

This looks like a good website with a LED calculator and it provides the correct LEDs for our cars.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/led-info/
Also, here is a pic of power resistors.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MetalNickA
Front Daytime Running Lights/Turn Signals
This was what started my LED conversion. I burned out and replaced two sockets since having my car for only 4 months. It's not the car's fault, the damn lights are blazing hot after only being lit for a few seconds! We'll replace them for some nice cool (literally and figuratively) LEDs and never replace a socket again!
The lights we will be putting in are 3157NA. Whatever LEDs you get must fit 3157 and MUST BE AMBER. The lenses are clear so you get amber lights. I got mine from Walmart.
To access the DRL/TS lights go under the front and unbolt the access flaps under the nose, or if you're like me, mine are all shredded and all i have to do is pull the flap down. Twist the socket out of the housing and pull the old bulb straight out of the socket. When you put your LED in, have your ignition on, because some LEDs are polarity sensitive, meaning they only work in one orientation. If they don't light up, try flipping it around.

Looking at the picture (ignore the floor, thats from my last oil change), when you plug in your bulb, and your ignition is on, every diode should be lit. If only half of them are lit, or if they are very dim like a burnt out candle, just wiggle it around or push it down harder. LEDs can be very picky about how they sit. Once you have both sides in, you can test them out with your blinkers or hazards. You can convert the DRL/TS to LED without having to replace your flasher.
Love the write up, thanks.
I just did the LED DRL's exactly like the ones you got, amber 3157NA from Walmart. Haven't done anything else yet. I wanna say first, although this doesn't really matter, the amber actually turns out being yellow, not orange like stock.
But here is my question, I installed them and they work, however only the bottom row of lights on the tower light up when running(wiggled/messed with them a ton and no change), the top row and the top of the tower only light up when using the blinker or hazards, is this normal?
Next and most importantly is after installing these my blinker is REALLY slow now, like 5 seconds per blink, however my hazard lights blink normally. Do I need a flasher?
Old 03-17-2017, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Next and most importantly is after installing these my blinker is REALLY slow now, like 5 seconds per blink, however my hazard lights blink normally. Do I need a flasher?[/QUOTE]

surre u need a new one they r super cheap just chnge it - mine did the same
Old 03-18-2017, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebird T/A
surre u need a new one they r super cheap just chnge it - mine did the same
I never updated this, I ended up buying the flasher he used in his write up and everything works fine now.
Thats bullcrap that I would just have to keep buying LEDs until I find ones that actually work correctly, no thanks.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I made the conversation and very pleased with these LEDs and the flasher. All purchased from Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails 98-02 Trans Am LED Exterior Conversion COMPLETE GUIDE-img_3297.jpg   98-02 Trans Am LED Exterior Conversion COMPLETE GUIDE-img_3296.jpg   98-02 Trans Am LED Exterior Conversion COMPLETE GUIDE-img_3295.jpg   98-02 Trans Am LED Exterior Conversion COMPLETE GUIDE-img_3294.jpg   98-02 Trans Am LED Exterior Conversion COMPLETE GUIDE-img_3293.jpg  

98-02 Trans Am LED Exterior Conversion COMPLETE GUIDE-img_3289.jpg   98-02 Trans Am LED Exterior Conversion COMPLETE GUIDE-img_3291.jpg   98-02 Trans Am LED Exterior Conversion COMPLETE GUIDE-img_3292.jpg  
Old 05-10-2017, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a short video...if my cruise control does not function, I will add a power resistor to the circuit.
Amazon LEDs, they come in Red, Amber and white. I am very pleased with these very bright LEDs.
Amazon Amazon

Attached Thumbnails 98-02 Trans Am LED Exterior Conversion COMPLETE GUIDE-fullsizerender.jpg  

Last edited by bgw70; 05-10-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I finally tried the cruise control this morning and it is operating just fine! No Power resistors will be required.
Very pleased with the flasher and LED selection...these LEDs are brighter than the OEM incandescent bulbs.
I know others had issues with the cruise control and I am not sure how my car is different.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bgw70
I finally tried the cruise control this morning and it is operating just fine! No Power resistors will be required.
Very pleased with the flasher and LED selection...these LEDs are brighter than the OEM incandescent bulbs.
I know others had issues with the cruise control and I am not sure how my car is different.
thats funny, as I tried mine a few days ago and it worked for a second and the quit. I left the original bulbs in the 3rd brake light to try and keep it working but I think it blew the fuse. I haven't checked yet. What year is your car?
Old 05-21-2017, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's a 2000 T/A...let me clarify that I did not change the 3rd brake light and I tested the cruise control with the headlights and parking lights off...the daytime running lights were on.
I also cycled the cruise control four times, used the resume/accelerate and set controls. Everything tested normal.

I will go and test the cruise control with the lights on...
Old 05-21-2017, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

My test results were the same with the lights on or off, even turned on the emergency flashers.
In very combination the cruise control functions properly.
I would guess that if I change the third brake light to LED, then my cruise control will stop functioning. If that is the case, I will just keep the incandescent bulbs in the third brake light.
The following users liked this post:
Steven503 (06-09-2020)
Old 05-21-2017, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

I'm only interested in changing the front DRL's and strobe lights to LED's on my Formula, is this possible?
Old 05-22-2017, 05:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by silverformula
I'm only interested in changing the front DRL's and strobe lights to LED's on my Formula, is this possible?
Sure, I don't see why not!
You mix and match all you want, but remember to purchase one of those electronic flashers I posted earlier.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

I plan on getting 2 X 3157 NA (amber) for my drl's and then for my strobes I plan on getting 2 X 3057 (white) and then to run these lights correctly I'm going to use the EF32RL LED Compatible Electronic Flasher.

Is this all correct?
Old 05-27-2017, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by silverformula
I plan on getting 2 X 3157 NA (amber) for my drl's and then for my strobes I plan on getting 2 X 3057 (white) and then to run these lights correctly I'm going to use the EF32RL LED Compatible Electronic Flasher.

Is this all correct?
The flasher is correct for sure. Your light numbers are correct, what are you calling strobes? The white reverse lights?

Use red for the brake lights. You also need the very outside light, they don't blink, they are just on.
Anyway, I used this brand...very bright...better than I expected. If the link does not work, let me know.
Amazon Amazon

BTW, I left the 3rd brake light incandescent and don't have any issues with the cruise control.

Quick Reply: 98-02 Trans Am LED Exterior Conversion COMPLETE GUIDE