Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Seeking info on 1999 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking info on 1999 Firebird

Its a 1999 Firebird with new ECM, Tie Rods, and Ball Joints. It has a manual transmission with a series 2 3800 engine with 126,000 miles. The seller is asking $3,000 and is within a half hour drive. I will gladly read all tips or info you can give me from personal knowledge or from the pictures above.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Well, right of the bat, it's not a manual (at least the car in the pictures isn't).
Old 11-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

save urself some more money and step into a V8 you can get one for about 6-7 k
Old 11-14-2016, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im going to go out on a limb based on the way you worded that the car is a v6, and that fact that the car is an A4 and you said manual, that you are new to these cars.

For starters I would not buy that car.

1. If you are trying to get into F bodies for a project or weekend car to race or have fun get an LS1. Remember, LS1=fun. Far superior starting point and parts options.

2. The car looks to have several cosmetic defects, paint chipping and peeling on the outside, cracked dashpad, something going on with the passenger carpet, radio is improperly installed, etc. Based off the visual material condition im willing to bet at least one window motor is out or will be soon, and same for the headlights, maybe a t top leak. Not exactly a position you want to be in spending the cash to fix these things unless you have no options and 3k is your max budget.

3. Seeing how the seller has another f body right next to it that is a V8, im willing to bet this was or was planning on being a body parts donor car to his/her main car, which you don't know what he/she as already robbed and from experience, parts cars or weekday v6 beaters usually get abused and neglected.

However im not there I could be all wrong, but id do more research IMO, these cars arnt hard to find.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Thanks for setting me straight, I'm going to invest a couple more grand and get something worthwhile. I pounced on the first Firebird nearby and need to shop around some more.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 453 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by TA-Rookie
Thanks for setting me straight, I'm going to invest a couple more grand and get something worthwhile. I pounced on the first Firebird nearby and need to shop around some more.
Yes you do. Don't be afraid to travel to get what you truly want, right down to the color and transmission type. With photos and info exchanged so easily with sellers, and a Carfax at your fingertips, you can feel rather comfortable with a potential purchase hours away. If it doesn't work out, so what? You wasted a few dollars in gas and some lunch money. I haven't bought a car 'local' since I bought my Trans Am new off the showroom floor near Charlotte which is still over 3 hours from me. I wanted a certain color combo and I got it! My Ford was 500 miles away and my C4 a full day away up in Canton, Ohio.
Best of luck with your search.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by usnfenix
Im going to go out on a limb based on the way you worded that the car is a v6, and that fact that the car is an A4 and you said manual, that you are new to these cars.

For starters I would not buy that car.

1. If you are trying to get into F bodies for a project or weekend car to race or have fun get an LS1. Remember, LS1=fun. Far superior starting point and parts options.

2. The car looks to have several cosmetic defects, paint chipping and peeling on the outside, cracked dashpad, something going on with the passenger carpet, radio is improperly installed, etc. Based off the visual material condition im willing to bet at least one window motor is out or will be soon, and same for the headlights, maybe a t top leak. Not exactly a position you want to be in spending the cash to fix these things unless you have no options and 3k is your max budget.

3. Seeing how the seller has another f body right next to it that is a V8, im willing to bet this was or was planning on being a body parts donor car to his/her main car, which you don't know what he/she as already robbed and from experience, parts cars or weekday v6 beaters usually get abused and neglected.
Also, since these cars are already over 15 years old, they are going to need to have rubber parts replaced. Rubber parts like the radiator hoses, heater hoses, brake lines, vacuum hoses, etc. I think it worth it, but I can afford it.

Save your money and keep looking. Maybe you'll find a well maintained garage queen.... like mine

John

Quick Reply: Seeking info on 1999 Firebird