Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Vote to show

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Vote to show

Iam debating weather to show my car or not. Not perfect, faded bumper, hairline cracks, sail panel bubbles. Whats your vote.
Attached Thumbnails Vote to show-img_20170826_095057945.jpg   Vote to show-img_20170826_095102853.jpg  
Old 08-27-2017, 04:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,284 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

What do you mean by "show"? Are we talking a cruise night/informal type event, or a points/judged show with entry fees and classes, etc.? If the former, absolutely - cars at those events don't need to be perfect. If the latter, I see no purpose unless the car is in exceptional condition (which you have already made clear is not the case) and can truly be competitive among its peers.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 542 Likes on 389 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I certainly agree. Local shows and cruise-ins, definitely. Your car will be a hit. Have fun and enjoy yourself. I'll be attending shows every weekend for the next two months if the weather cooperates.
Points shows are a different animal. Lots of fun also but LOTS of detail work involved and the car does need to be really nice to win anything. I won a few awards at points shows with an air-cooled 911 and a Bricklin (many years ago) but you better not have a thin skin because your car will be criticized to death. I took it as an opportunity to improve my car even further. Again, that's for serious 'showing'. I just enjoy the judged shows now generally, without the points system. In other words, a beautifully prepared detailed car, that isn't seen every day, can win. It's still subjective though. Judges have their favorites. Never take it personal. Just have fun with other car owners.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 130 Likes on 117 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If the show is for a good cause...ABSOLUTLY do it. IF its for a trophy....HELL NO ! You're gonna get butt hurt as most do.

Last show I was in, rubber still on the quarters, bug guts on the windshield, paint chips....was a points show too. When I seen the judges going over the car next to me pointing out this or that and writing stuff on their pad, I was next I waved them on and told them I judge my self enough and don't need theirs since I was only there for friends and the good cause.

I learned quick when a 2005 (this was in 2008 BTW) Yes, a 2005 Mustang won "Classic Cruiser Award"....oh, and was a "friend" of the show....go figure so I only do it for the cause and what happens, happens Much better this way.

Last edited by Doug G; 08-27-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,284 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Points shows are a different animal. Lots of fun also but LOTS of detail work involved and the car does need to be really nice to win anything. I won a few awards at points shows with an air-cooled 911 and a Bricklin (many years ago) but you better not have a thin skin because your car will be criticized to death. I took it as an opportunity to improve my car even further. Again, that's for serious 'showing'.
I agree, both types are fun but you need to be prepared for what it means to compete in a more serious, concourse/national level event. Most street driven cars will do horribly in such events, these are really for trailered vehicles that basically never see public roadways.

I did the points judged shows for a time too, but they were lower level events on the 100 point scale (I never personally competed in a 1000 point event.) These were fun, it was enjoyable to me since I had the car properly prepped and it was in the necessary condition to be competitive. Never took first place in my class, but I didn't have any trouble scoring in the upper 90s and getting second place which was rewarding to me since I still drove the car there (no trailer) and did final prep on site.

If your car isn't at least a #2, the points judged events are not really worth the entry fee since you won't ever win or likely even place unless it's a really small event. Cruise nights, informal judged events and/or participant/spectator voting type deals are where most street cars belong - and where you'll have the most fun with a #3/#4 car.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I certainly agree. Local shows and cruise-ins, definitely. Your car will be a hit. Have fun and enjoy yourself. I'll be attending shows every weekend for the next two months if the weather cooperates.
Points shows are a different animal. Lots of fun also but LOTS of detail work involved and the car does need to be really nice to win anything. I won a few awards at points shows with an air-cooled 911 and a Bricklin (many years ago) but you better not have a thin skin because your car will be criticized to death. I took it as an opportunity to improve my car even further. Again, that's for serious 'showing'. I just enjoy the judged shows now generally, without the points system. In other words, a beautifully prepared detailed car, that isn't seen every day, can win. It's still subjective though. Judges have their favorites. Never take it personal. Just have fun with other car owners.
I don't think so. That car is hideous. Very, very limited group of people who are going to like that particular package. Not trying to be harsh. Rare does not mean desirable all of the time. But as everybody else said, if it's a local no judged thing sure, why not.

First judged show I brought mine to I stayed up late detailing it. Drove it 2 hours over some great roads - full of bugs. Brought all of my detailing stuff with me to touch up at the show. Parked it, got out, took one look at the front end and said screw this - I'm going to enjoy the show rather than spend a ton of time cleaning it and baking in the sun. I did not win anything, lol. But saw people looking at it and taking pictures so I was still proud.

Last edited by AnotherWs6; 08-28-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

all shows I have been to were judged. they were also for a good cause. Last show I went to all proceeds went to "Just for Kids Foundation". same as last year. i won awards at the first car show I went to (Bay City River Roar) - the last two - nothing. who cares. people still looked, asked questions and we had fun. you'd be surprised at what type of cars win awards.

i say do it and have fun

Quick Reply: Vote to show