Old 09-26-2017, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Trans Am Overheating Again

Here she is.
    Old 09-27-2017, 07:09 AM
    TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I can only share my own experiences with the LT1. I bought a '96 Formula new off the showroom floor and owned it for over 9 years. The temperature gauge frequently was 'high' especially in traffic and when idling. As soon as you moved, like you, the temp returned to normal operating temps. There was nothing wrong with my Formula and was the 'nature of the beast'.
    Fast forward to my current LT1 in my C4. Just 32,000 miles on it and the system works fine with new Dexcool. SAME EXACT THING. Doesn't like idling or traffic. You start moving, down goes the temperature. The C4 Corvette forums have a 'sticky' about overheating LT1 engines. Again, it seems to be the norm.
    As long as your system is operating properly you may be experiencing what is considered nothing unusual. Boiling over though is not acceptable and not what I have experienced.
    You have a nice looking ride in your photo.
    Old 09-28-2017, 08:08 PM
    Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
    I can only share my own experiences with the LT1. I bought a '96 Formula new off the showroom floor and owned it for over 9 years. The temperature gauge frequently was 'high' especially in traffic and when idling. As soon as you moved, like you, the temp returned to normal operating temps. There was nothing wrong with my Formula and was the 'nature
    of the beast'.
    Fast forward to my current LT1 in my C4. Just 32,000 miles on it and the system works fine with new Dexcool. SAME EXACT THING. Doesn't like idling or traffic. You start moving, down goes the temperature. The C4 Corvette forums have a 'sticky' about overheating LT1 engines. Again, it seems to be the norm.
    As long as your system is operating properly you may be experiencing what is considered nothing unusual. Boiling over though is not acceptable and not what I have experienced.
    You have a nice looking ride in your photo.
    I appreciate the feedback. I was aware that it was normal for the motor to run a little hot in stop and go traffic, but i was concerned when it climbed up to 240. in the time since i've posted this thread, the car has run at normal operating temperatures, i'm just out of ideas as to why it got so hot on that one occasion.
    Old 10-08-2017, 06:47 PM

Default manual switch

sorry to hear your issue I had a vette same issues I ended up wiring in a fan switch I could cut on and off at a whim so first sign in traffic fip and fans went on
    lt1's with tilted radiator don't get air they deserve it will also take larger raidiator but they are not cheap
    I just had to replace the classic low temp sensor on my 94
    Old 11-26-2017, 10:36 PM
    Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure if I'm too late to the game, but hopefully the following may help:

- was the coolant system bled properly? The LT1 engines have a bleeder valve on the top radiator hose as it's the highest spot to get the air bubbles out. Not doing this and the cooling system may not work properly.

- try switching to a 160º thermostat and retune the computer. When I had my 1995 T/A I bought an SLP 160º thermostat and used a hypertech power programmer to reprogram the fans to kick on sooner. My car never went over 200º after that.

- make sure your fans are coming on. with your engine running (regardless of temp) turn the AC on. The fans should kick on almost immediately.

- look for the obvious- make sure your radiator isn't blocked, that you have the lower air dam underneath the car, you have the air shrouds in place for proper airflow, etc. your car is over 20 years old. it's possible someone switched something...

Hope this helps.
    Old 01-02-2021, 07:54 PM
    Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    Default 94 T/A cooling issues

Lt1 gets hot in the red while giving gas. But cools down at idle immediately. At 2000 rpm it gets hot real fast but cools at Idle . Fans working flushed entire system other than pulling knock sensor n engine drain purged too.
    Help me please

Quick Reply: 1994 Trans Am Overheating Again